The Student Room Group

Trouble with Personal statement

Hi everyone! I am planning on studying genetics, however some universities that interest me like UCL and Cambridge do not offer genetics as a course , but allow you to specialize in genetics through courses like biomedical and natural sciences. So I was wondering, if my personal statement is focused on genetics wouldn't this be too specific for the more general courses? OR if my personal statement is very general, wouldn't it be too vague for the specific genetic courses?Any advice?
Original post by ErsieCh
Hi everyone! I am planning on studying genetics, however some universities that interest me like UCL and Cambridge do not offer genetics as a course , but allow you to specialize in genetics through courses like biomedical and natural sciences. So I was wondering, if my personal statement is focused on genetics wouldn't this be too specific for the more general courses? OR if my personal statement is very general, wouldn't it be too vague for the specific genetic courses?Any advice?

Hey, I'm not a science student in any way shape or form, but I did want to offer some advice :smile: I'm currently writing mine too, for French and English, so I understand where you're coming from. Do you have your 5 university courses selected already? If so, which ones are your first 3 choices? If you can try to narrow down the best three courses into a rank order, then work out what all of them have in common. Once you've figured that out, see where the differences lie. If they're wildly different you could suggest that you're interested in a couple of different aspects of genetics, but mainly you're interested in XYZ. Try to make XYZ fit for all three of those first choice courses, and tie in the differences briefly, to make it clear that you've tried to tailor the PS to each course. Otherwise, it might be worth doing some extra research, ring the universities and ask for some more in-depth info, and you may find that the modules end up matching pretty well. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ErsieCh

You can provide an additional Cambridge-specific PS in their SAQ.

I suggest you write your PS to suit the main 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending