The Student Room Group

Dear Medical students what a levels did you take?

What a levels did you take and why, also what grades did you get and on a scale of 1 (really easy and 10 (very very hard) how would you rate the subject?

But for AS you have to pick 4.

What a levels did you do?
Original post by Anonymous1502
But for AS you have to pick 4.

Really doesn't matter what you take for your fourth.

Before you ask - English Literature (A), Film (A), Biology (A), Art (B). This was in the days before A*s, but as I had 90% or over in the first three, it would now be A*A*A*B. I have Chemistry and Maths AS-levels, and went to med school as a graduate, hence not needing to have Chemistry to A2.

If you want to apply for Medicine as your first degree, you will need Chemistry to A2. Biology is also desirable (though not required at every university IIRC). The other A-level can be whatever you fancy taking, though try to stick to something academic if you want to maximise your chances.
Original post by *pitseleh*
Really doesn't matter what you take for your fourth.

Before you ask - English Literature (A), Film (A), Biology (A), Art (B). This was in the days before A*s, but as I had 90% or over in the first three, it would now be A*A*A*B. I have Chemistry and Maths AS-levels, and went to med school as a graduate, hence not needing to have Chemistry to A2.

If you want to apply for Medicine as your first degree, you will need Chemistry to A2. Biology is also desirable (though not required at every university IIRC). The other A-level can be whatever you fancy taking, though try to stick to something academic if you want to maximise your chances.

Why do universities require chemistry a level, how does chemistry a level relate to the medical course, im just wondering and im not sure what you learn in a level chemistry so just asking.
Why do universities require chemistry a level, how does chemistry a level relate to the medical course, im just wondering and im not sure what you learn in a level chemistry so just asking.

Its mainly to prove you can do it tbh. The actual direct relevance is limited.

My grades are in the link provided.
Reply 7

Grade at Chemistry A level is the only thing that has shown any correlation with success at Medical school beyond the first year.
Original post by GANFYD
Grade at Chemistry A level is the only thing that has shown any correlation with success at Medical school beyond the first year.

Why do you think there is a link between success in medicine and doing chemistry a level,also what source is this from?
Reply 9
Why do you think there is a link between success in medicine and doing chemistry a level,also what source is this from?

I think Chemistry would be thought to be perhaps the most academically vigorous A level?? Not sure, I sat mine 30 years ago!
Cannot remember the source-that's what Google is for!
Just remember UKCAT scores only correlate to results in 1st year exams and Chemistry is the only thing that shows your likelihood of getting through the whole course
Original post by GANFYD
I think Chemistry would be thought to be perhaps the most academically vigorous A level?? Not sure, I sat mine 30 years ago!
Cannot remember the source-that's what Google is for!
Just remember UKCAT scores only correlate to results in 1st year exams and Chemistry is the only thing that shows your likelihood of getting through the whole course

Any advice for getting into medical school and how to stand out in the application process?
Reply 11
Any advice for getting into medical school and how to stand out in the application process?

Good grades, good UKCAT, good PS, apply to your strengths and ace the interview!
What did you expect me to say! :tongue:
Do you have anything specific you want advice about?
Reply 12

Huh, I honestly would have thought more successful oxford applicants would have had more than 3 A levels. Just goes to show that you really do only need 3!
Reply 13
What a levels did you take and why, also what grades did you get and on a scale of 1 (really easy and 10 (very very hard) how would you rate the subject?

Biology-4
Chemistry-6
Physics-8
Maths-3

I took them because I like those subjects. Also 10/10 rating for all
Original post by GANFYD
Good grades, good UKCAT, good PS, apply to your strengths and ace the interview!
What did you expect me to say! :tongue:
Do you have anything specific you want advice about?

But most candidates for medicine have good grades and good ukcat what would someone different from the usual candidate? Is it if they volunteered or had work experience, does it matter where you volunteered or what work experience you got and how long and etc.

As others have said above - it's one of the more challenging A-level subjects (I personally found both Physics and Maths more difficult, but each to their own) so I think it's used as a benchmark of basic academic ability by med schools - as something that suggests you might be able to cope with the academic standard required in Medicine.*
Reply 16
But most candidates for medicine have good grades and good ukcat what would someone different from the usual candidate? Is it if they volunteered or had work experience, does it matter where you volunteered or what work experience you got and how long and etc.

Depends on what the Med School is looking for. To get to interview, some just want a high UKCAT once basic minimum academic requirements are met, some want sparkling GCSEs, some want a PS with lots of reflection. If you make it to interview, almost all will want you to have done some volunteering and work experience, but it is not where, or how much, but that you can show what you learned from it, and how it has informed your decision to apply for medicine. A huge long list of months of "good works" and shadowing will not impress as much as a few weeks of well thought out and reflected upon actions. They want to see an intelligent, caring, empathetic, well-rounded individual with good communication skills who has an excellent understanding of what being a Dr entails. Sounds a breeze, hey?? :smile:

Quick Reply