The Student Room Group

My sister's teacher is a racist?!

Scroll to see replies

The question isn't racist because at the time the belief was that enslaving people was the correct course of action and would make people civilised. It's like saying studying the history of WW2 is antisemetic.
Tbh I think it's a pretty good question for a history essay. It gives students the scope to build a strong argument as to why slavery happened and how it was able to happen. History questions are always controversial in my experience, I had one once 'was Hitler successful?' or something and it's obviously not that my teacher agreed with his actions, but was giving us the chance to critically assess them.

There are no right or wrong answers in history, some people may well think that slavery was easy because Africans were less civilised back then and others will think differently. If you don't like controversial questions around sensitive issues, I would advise against studying history tbh.
Original post by Good bloke
Has it escaped your attention that the Africans were enslaved by other Africans who then sold them to white men or Arabs? Or by Arabs directly?

They were generally not actually enslaved by white men. How is the enslavement of one black man by another a racist act? It is tribal, of course, but hardly racist.

That doesn't make the white traders innocent by modern standards, of course.

You believe this to make yourself feel better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Compton Menace
You believe this to make yourself feel better.

No. I believe it because it is a sensible conclusion from the evidence. I can't see how I would feel any different if the opposite were true.
Original post by Good bloke
No. I believe it because it is a sensible conclusion from the evidence. I can't see how I would feel any different if the opposite were true.

go away
Original post by bones-mccoy
Again, no. As white people have never experienced racism, the notion of them dictating what is or isn't racist is absurd. It's like a man deciding if something is sexist or not. Stop trying to put words into my mouth.

Are you for real? And as a woman, I can state that women are sexist towards men, and a man is just as able to judge what is sexist as I am. You are sexist in saying men do not have that capability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest