The Student Room Group

Anthropology 2017 entry

I was wondering about who else is applying to do a course in Anthropology and to which universities.
I am going to be applying to Durham, Southampton (to do sociology with anthropology), Sussex, Manchester, and Brunel :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying for Anthropology too :biggrin: I'm applying to Exeter, Kent, Oxford Brookes, Queens Belfast and Bristol. Can't wait!
Reply 2
SAAAAME
Durham, Bristol (applying for the one with Innovation too), Manchester and Sussex.
I got AABE at AS in English Lit, RS, Politics and History respectively.
Original post by SparklyUnicornz
I'm applying for Anthropology too :biggrin: I'm applying to Exeter, Kent, Oxford Brookes, Queens Belfast and Bristol. Can't wait!

Ooh nice! I wanted to apply to to Queens Belfast too but my mum wouldn't let me 😂
Original post by Kyle1198
SAAAAME
Durham, Bristol (applying for the one with Innovation too), Manchester and Sussex.
I got AABE at AS in English Lit, RS, Politics and History respectively.

Ahh your grades are brilliant, well done! I only had English lit and RS exams in the summer and I got an A in them both too 😊
Original post by tanvisingh99
Ooh nice! I wanted to apply to to Queens Belfast too but my mum wouldn't let me 😂

Hahaha, I haven't broken the news to my mom yet 😂
Reply 6
Ahh your grades are brilliant, well done! I only had English lit and RS exams in the summer and I got an A in them both too 😊

What other A Levels do you do?
Why did your school not let you sit some of the AS Levels. I know it's because of the reformed stuff, but they let you sit Lit and that's reformed!
Reply 7

My mum thinks Sussex is a **** uni so she's apprehensive about me applying there!
What other A Levels do you do?
Why did your school not let you sit some of the AS Levels. I know it's because of the reformed stuff, but they let you sit Lit and that's reformed!

Because the History is A-level is linear so whatever grade I would get in that would have to be shown to univeristies, which was a bit risky, and the same with biology. Whereas with English and RS, they're unitised and we had the option to not cash-in our results, so my school just thought it would be the safer option for us
My mum thinks Sussex is a **** uni so she's apprehensive about me applying there!

Hahaha really? It's supposed to be a top 20 uk university from what I've heard, but I'm going to their open day on the 1st of October which will hopefully show me if its good - I just really liked their course a lot
Original post by phillies21
Applying for LSE, Edinburgh, Manchester, Exeter and UCL/Durham.

2 A's AS (one was linear) and A* EPQ, predicted A*A*A*.

GCSE's: 2A*s, 3A's, 4B's.

Those are some amazing grades!! Good luck (although you clearly won't be needing it!)!
I was also wondering if anyone knows when they're planning on sending in their applications?
I was also wondering if anyone knows when they're planning on sending in their applications?

My school's deadline is November/December something like that, can't remember.
I need to do extra reading before I start the personal statement, so I might head to the library tomorrow and see. And probs get started on the PS this week!

Oh and got 1A* 3A 6B at GCSE, forgot to add
My school's deadline is November/December something like that, can't remember.
I need to do extra reading before I start the personal statement, so I might head to the library tomorrow and see. And probs get started on the PS this week!

Oh and got 1A* 3A 6B at GCSE, forgot to add

Yeah, my school is the same but I'm planning her on sending mine off by mid-October to be safe.
With reading, I'd definitely reccomend reading Small Places, Large Issues - it's a really nice introduction to the subject and hasn't been reccomended to me by every Anthropology lecturer I've talked to.
I also read a book called 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari, which isn't directly Anthropological, but it's basically about humankind and how we developed which definitely relates to the subject, and was really interesting too 😊
Yeah, my school is the same but I'm planning her on sending mine off by mid-October to be safe.
With reading, I'd definitely reccomend reading Small Places, Large Issues - it's a really nice introduction to the subject and hasn't been reccomended to me by every Anthropology lecturer I've talked to.
I also read a book called 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari, which isn't directly Anthropological, but it's basically about humankind and how we developed which definitely relates to the subject, and was really interesting too 😊

There's this research done by UCL on social media from an anthropological perspective. Its free and worth a read. Its called 'why we post' or something along those lines. Google it.
There's this research done by UCL on social media from an anthropological perspective. Its free and worth a read. Its called 'why we post' or something along those lines. Google it.

Yep, I finished the online course 😊
Reply 16
This is a bit off topic but can I ask what you all want to do once you've got your degree?
Original post by Summer50
This is a bit off topic but can I ask what you all want to do once you've got your degree?

I personally want to study international relations post-grad in order to become a diplomat or something like that. I just think that Anthropology will give me a great basic grounding because understanding is key.
Original post by Summer50

I don't know but I hear that an anthropology degree is very versatile so hopefully I will have a lot of options
Reply 19
Sent my application off yesterday

Applied to Oxford, UCL, Durham, Bristol and Exeter

Quick Reply