Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Concerned with my Access to Science course

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

So i'm two weeks into this course studying chem, bio and physics.
    I do 2 days a week, 1 day is physics and bio, the other is chem and study skills.

We have already been set an assignment for physics which is partially a group experiment in class. Not too concerned about that just yet.

In Bio we also have an assignment. Part A involves choosing an organ system and writing about it (500 words) with diagrams to include organ cells and different types of tissues.

I want to get stuck in now but i simply cant because I dont know enough. The assignment outline is vague so i dont want to spend a few hours on it only to be told ive waffled on about nonsense and have to start over.
    Is anyone else feeling this way? It seems the course is set up so you have to go at the pace the tutor gives you, but i want to get things done now.

I've tried having a go and looking at various sites, but i just find myself copying what the website says whilst slightly changing the sentences since I cant think of a way to word it better myself. The system we send the assignments through has software built in to stop people copying eachother but not sure if that applies to online articles.

Part A is due in mid October. I just dont like having assignments looming which i cant do yet

Inevitably you will almost be copy and pasting things at times. Just make sure you reword things and change the formatting of the info enough so it's not recognisably the same.

If something works a certain way then all you can do is repeat the information as to how it works but in your own words as much as possible.

This is the part of Access that's boring af.

(Original post by AccessToUni25)
    ... The system we send the assignments through has software built in to stop people copying eachother but not sure if that applies to online articles...
    Yes, it does. You have to assume that anything that has been printed or published online is in the database.
    It's best to read your source(s) thoroughly, make sure you understand it, then put it away and write it in your own words. (It can help to make bullet points as you go through). You can check afterwards if you missed anything out.
    At university, plagiarism is ranked just below murder, so the sooner you learn how to use sources without copying, the better.

The best advice I can give you is to pick an organ system, do some background reading and make a spidergram of how you will structure your assignment. Show this to your tutor-it's not a final copy so they can read through and comment.

When you come to writing it, write it as if you were trying to teach it to someone who doesn't understand it, use plain English obviously, and include in-line referencing of the sources you use.

Always, always, always check on the front of your assignment where it lists the assessment criteria ie 1:2 Knows the structure of an organ system and links structure to function. Read back through the work you,ve produced, does it fulfil this criteria?

Don't forget that you can copy diagrams off reliable websites, just ensure that you reference them. And yes you do just reword the information that you have read, at the end of the day with biology the information is factual, so you can't include any personal opinion
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.