The Student Room Group

wrote a couple of weeks ago. just found this forum

I'm a Canadian hoping to enter as an international student. I think my score was quite high: VR - 720, AR - 750, and QA - 800, with a 2 on SJ. I am trying to figure out which schools place a high importance on the UKCAT. My experience is kind of light for the personal statement. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 2

Thanks very much. I have both Aberdeen and Dundee on my short list. Edinburgh only takes IB qualifications from international students. I have St Andrews and Sheffield also on my short list. Kings College has not replied to requests for international qualifications unfortunately. I will investigate Durham as per your suggestion
Reply 3
Original post by marcg
Thanks very much. I have both Aberdeen and Dundee on my short list. Edinburgh only takes IB qualifications from international students. I have St Andrews and Sheffield also on my short list. Kings College has not replied to requests for international qualifications unfortunately. I will investigate Durham as per your suggestion

The Durham "degree" is odd because it isn't really a medical degree - it's just the first two years of the Newcastle course at the Durham Stockton campus, which is 30mins away from Durham itself. After those 2 years all of the students come to Newcastle and graduate with a Newcastle degree. Nevertheless, the reason I'm mentioning it is because all of the Durham segmented health stuff is closing down and coming back to Newcastle itself, so Durham probably won't have an intake for 2017. The admissions criteria for Newcastle and Durham are the same (the only difference being slightly difference UKCAT cut-offs, because this depends on applicants). Therefore instead of Durham think about Newcastle as a UKCAT-heavy uni - UKCAT is the only selector for interview (other than meeting minimum academic requirements), and after interview the interview performance is the only selector for offer.
Reply 4
Original post by Beska
The Durham "degree" is odd because it isn't really a medical degree - it's just the first two years of the Newcastle course at the Durham Stockton campus, which is 30mins away from Durham itself. After those 2 years all of the students come to Newcastle and graduate with a Newcastle degree. Nevertheless, the reason I'm mentioning it is because all of the Durham segmented health stuff is closing down and coming back to Newcastle itself, so Durham probably won't have an intake for 2017. The admissions criteria for Newcastle and Durham are the same (the only difference being slightly difference UKCAT cut-offs, because this depends on applicants). Therefore instead of Durham think about Newcastle as a UKCAT-heavy uni - UKCAT is the only selector for interview (other than meeting minimum academic requirements), and after interview the interview performance is the only selector for offer.

Just to make a point. Durham will no longer be taking applications for medicine from 2017 entry onwards. Instead everyone just applies to Newcastle.

Manchester and queen Mary's will be good options too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mliela
Just to make a point. Durham will no longer be taking applications for medicine from 2017 entry onwards. Instead everyone just applied to Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending