The Student Room Group

No science qualifications - want to become a Vet

I'm coming up to 27 years old and have never really known what I wanted to do with my life, at the moment I'm working at an engineering consultancy as a secretary having done some A levels (Business Studies, History and economics - BBC) and a law degree (2:2).

I've decided I need to have a career change and something that has always been in the back of my mind is working with animals. I've never pursued it because of my mum constantly telling me there were no jobs in working with animals/not good pay but having gone through years of being quite lost I've decided to finally go with it.

The only issue is I don't have any science background other than a BB at GCSE and I'd ideally like to work at the same time and the start of the term for most colleges/universities has just gone.

I guess my question is - what routes can I use to study Veterinary Science/Medicine?
I've seen a course at Bristol University that is a gateway to veterinary science but the entry requirements are a little confusing to me - is it for people who didn't do science at all?

Thanks for any help.
I suggest you look in the Veterinary Medicine and sciences forum, there is a lot of information about the application process, work experience and entry requirements in there.

Are you prepared to go abroad? VetMed is so competitive that even very well qualified students have to go to other European universities (mostly in Central and Eastern Europe) to study.
Lot of uni's offer a year 0, foundation year pre-starting degree proper. Ask around? Other than that, Access to HE with at least Biology and Health Studies. If doing full time, rather than part-time / evening classes, probably best add Chemistry in there.
Reply 3
You need to get a tonne of animal experience (I think Liverpool request something like 10 weeks work experience; small and large animal, tropical, lambing etc.) then A levels. Vet med is extremely competitive, so you need to makes yourself stand out.
Original post by Cassini
I'm coming up to 27 years old and have never really known what I wanted to do with my life, at the moment I'm working at an engineering consultancy as a secretary having done some A levels (Business Studies, History and economics - BBC) and a law degree (2:2).

I've decided I need to have a career change and something that has always been in the back of my mind is working with animals. I've never pursued it because of my mum constantly telling me there were no jobs in working with animals/not good pay but having gone through years of being quite lost I've decided to finally go with it.

The only issue is I don't have any science background other than a BB at GCSE and I'd ideally like to work at the same time and the start of the term for most colleges/universities has just gone.

I guess my question is - what routes can I use to study Veterinary Science/Medicine?
I've seen a course at Bristol University that is a gateway to veterinary science but the entry requirements are a little confusing to me - is it for people who didn't do science at all?

Thanks for any help.

Definitely do some veterinary related work experience (e.g. at small/large animal vets, on a farm) to ensure that vet med is definitely what you want to do, before you make the commitment of leaving your job and current career/paying for tuition fees(which will be very expensive, as you have already completed a degree).
I've tagged a couple of people who are very helpful on the vet med forums and may be able to answer some of your specific questions :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
hi i m about to enter my uni next year. in 9th and 10th i was studing pyhisics, chimestry and computer. the in 11, 12 studies business but now before entering in university in quartaine got involved with animals start taking care of them now have one small fram with parrots, birds and hens now want to study vetnary what can i do now i really want to please guide me

Quick Reply

Latest