The Student Room Group

Making friends in Uni

I just want some advice on making friends at uni as I really struggled in college and was quite lonely for the majority of my time there.
i was similar to you throughout school and and college. you need to identify why you struggle to make friends. for me it was because i was extremely shy and found it hard to talk to people and my brain was blank and i kind of panicked. i was very lonely. at uni you have a fresh start and i kind of forced myself to speak to people. you're living with people and around them all the time. even if i thought what i was saying was dumb or boring i made myself say it and eventually it's become 2nd nature to be talkative and meeting people is one of my favourite things. i love making new friends. at school it would literally terrify me. i have wonderful friends at uni and without sounding big headed i am fortunate to have both quality and quantity when it comes to friends!

if you want more indepth advice let me know here and I can PM you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DomiNateTricks
I just want some advice on making friends at uni as I really struggled in college and was quite lonely for the majority of my time there.

I wish I could give you good advice. But, I have always been an introvert and I didn't make friends by choice. I only had like two or three closest friends in high school. But, at college and university, I would just be by myself all the time and I liked that. Sorry, I couldn't be helpful. :redface:
Try to join some clubs and societies at uni,great place to meet new people :smile:
Personally, I'd ask whether having friends at Uni are really that important to you. When I was an undergrad I only had like... Four people I would consider friends? But that's because the majority were unreliable and only cared about getting drunk... And on our course there was a LOT of group work.

So you can see why we didn't get on.

But.... If you do really want friends, try to find people who are on the same wavelength as yourself. Or (I wouldn't recommend it) fake it till you make it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending