Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Im sharing private accommodation with only 2nd/3rd yr students as a 1st yr. Bad idea?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi I'm a first yr going to UEA in 2 weeks and am going to be house sharing outside campus with 5 other people who are a mixture of 2nd/3rd yr students. Of course I would have preferred to share with 1st years in the same situation but as it is so late I was unable to. I have met some of the other tenants and they seem nice and friendly so I am not too worried in that regard, however I am worried that I could become separated from other first yr students and potential new friends. I heard that most people make their best friends in halls, while not only do I not have accommodation on campus, I also won't be living with any other first yr's and so will it be a lot harder for me to make friends and meet new people?

    Also at freshers, most people will go in groups with their fellow 1st yr flatmates to events, but I won't be able to go with anyone as they're all older and already have their own friend groups... Is it fine to go it alone? I'm quite a shy guy generally so I'm worried.

    Has anyone got experience with this or any advice for me? Thanks

    You'll make friends from your course and other things like societies. Irrespective of year people are still people and you might find things in common with them.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.