The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm currently going through this atm as well except the fungal infection is on my scalp - seborrhoeic dermatitis. I've tried Nizoral shampoo and Daktacort cream and it's not getting better or at least by much. I too had to have diabetes ruled out as well and my tests came back clear.

What tests are you getting done next? Best of luck with everything. I know how worrying a health scare can be :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm currently going through this atm as well except the fungal infection is on my scalp - seborrhoeic dermatitis. I've tried Nizoral shampoo and Daktacort cream and it's not getting better or at least by much. I too had to have diabetes ruled out as well and my tests came back clear.

What tests are you getting done next? Best of luck with everything. I know how worrying a health scare can be :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've tried the nizoral, the daktacort and the fluconozale 50mg tablets. All to no avail. Yeah, what happens is that the symptoms get a bit better but then it gets worse.

I am getting more in depth blood tests, and they are also booking a dermatologist.

Basically, I am going a bit crazy with worry as he said he is worried as to why my immune system is not getting rid of the infection even after the tablets. So, I am getting these scary ideas that I might be very ill with something like cancer or an immune disease.
Original post by Anonymous

I've tried the nizoral, the daktacort and the fluconozale 50mg tablets. All to no avail. Yeah, what happens is that the symptoms get a bit better but then it gets worse.

I am getting more in depth blood tests, and they are also booking a dermatologist.

Basically, I am going a bit crazy with worry as he said he is worried as to why my immune system is not getting rid of the infection even after the tablets. So, I am getting these scary ideas that I might be very ill with something like cancer or an immune disease.

Try not to panic, it won't help! Some types of fungal infections are just really difficult to treat and it takes a few tries. Don't worry too much about the tests. They have to rule things out, like they did with diabetes. I think sometimes, as weird as it is, it just happens. I had an infection for years and it took months to treat but there was just no reason for it at all. It should've been a two week max infection but for some reason it just never cleared. All of my tests came back clear, apart from the infection, and they couldn't figure it out. Good luck with the dermatologist. They'll hopefully get to the bottom of it!
Could it be something like psoriasis, or exsema? Quite often they look like fungal infections but they're autoimmune conditions that don't necessarily mean your immune system is wildly off and it doesn't kill you but the systems are something you have to live with and use things like medicated cream etc.
Try not to worry - they will be ruling out things like vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anaemia, hypothyroidism etc. They need to know they isn't an underlying reason why it's not getting better. I had 6 vials of blood taken last year when I kept getting fungal infections - all tests came back clear.
Reply 6
Getting my tests done today, fingers crossed.
Hi, how did it go? I've had ringworm for the last nine months, and it has spread all across my body unfortunately. I'm seeing a dermatologist in two weeks but I don't want to take the oral antifungal (fluconazole), as I've heard that it improves but makes it worse afterwards.
Thanks for the information, guys.

Latest