The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Issues

Hi,

I am currently on a Gap Year so will be reapplying to University this year (I think!- I hold a place at Brighton to study engineering in 2017).
So to explain this a bit more:
On results day I unfortunately did not receive the grades I was hoping for. I achieved BCD in Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively. I also have a C in Economics AS. So for the past few years I have had my heart set on engineering but on results day I did a bit of a U-Turn on the career front- to teaching. So just a tiny bit different...

The issue now is that I don't know what sort of teaching I want to go into (Secondary or Primary) and therefore don't really know what course I am going to be applying for... for example in 1 prospectus I selected:
Applied Chemistry
Early Childhood Studies
Education and European Studies
Education Studies and Early Years
Mathematics and Education Studies
Physical Education
Primary Education
Sport and Exercise Science
Sport Coaching

So obviously this is going to be narrowed down a bit but how on earth do I write a personal statement that covers so many topics?
I'm applying for both early childhood studies and primary education.

I suggest you try to do some work experience and see what age group and subjects you enjoy teaching
Generally speaking, you need to do a 'proper' (i.e. academic) subject (which could be engineering) to do secondary teaching. For primary, you can either do an academic course, or something like childhood studies (but bear in mind, that wouldn't qualify you), or primary education. As above, I suggest you get work experience to see which you want to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending