What are my chances of UCL/ LSE

To study Maths With Economics

Maths: A (91% average)
Further Maths: B (73% average) Retaking D2 & FP1
Economics: B (highest in year)
Physics: C

Prediction: A*AA (Maths, Further maths, Economics

Gcse: 2 A* 4 A 3 B

Have been in FMSP competition, bronze in intermediate and senior UKMT, have volunteered at oxfam, and have been in Brilliant club in which i got a 2:1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not great.
Original post by Trapz99
Not great.

Aired
Reply 3
Original post by Nuggetsarelife
Aired

What do you mean? With those AS and GCSE results your chances are really not great. LSE kit say that their minimum requirements are A*AA, but most applicants will have better predicted grades and better AS and GCSE results. Also to study maths apsits economics. you should be getting better than bronze in the maths challenges.
Original post by Trapz99
What do you mean? With those AS and GCSE results your chances are really not great. LSE kit say that their minimum requirements are A*AA, but most applicants will have better predicted grades and better AS and GCSE results. Also to study maths apsits economics. you should be getting better than bronze in the maths challenges.

Hhh
(edited 7 years ago)

Have been in FMSP competition, bronze in intermediate and senior UKMT, have volunteered at oxfam, and have been in Brilliant club in which i got a 2:1

Have a gap year and apply with your A2 grades. Try and get A*A*A and then your chances are good. Applying to uni is distracting and stressful, so you have more time to smash your A2s. If you got A*A*A you could apply to Cambridge too. Gap years are amazing!

LSE like GCSEs though, so think about Durham and St Andrews. Youre doing economics, your employment prospects are the best wherever you go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OriginalLifelin
Have a gap year and apply with your A2 grades. Try and get A*A*A and then your chances are good. Applying to uni is distracting and stressful, so you have more time to smash your A2s. If you got A*A*A you could apply to Cambridge too. Gap years are amazing!

Don't think i'll able to do STEP II and III lol. can i apply as many times as i want?

How many marks in econ?

LSE like GCSEs though, so think about Durham and St Andrews. Your doing economics, your employment prospects are the best wherever you go.

I'd prefer to stay close to home. London unis are in my cross hairs. im thinking Kings College for Mathematics with Finance and Management
Original post by citibankrec
How many marks in econ?

99/140
AQA reformed AS Level
what if i had extenuating circumstances such as anxiety and depression during my AS year seeing as its now all cleared up. what if i had an amazing PS, would it make up for my grades. im going for A*A*A min this year hopefully they'll let me through.

im not here to be that guy who has 19 A* at GCSE and 4 A's saying do i have a chance? im genuinely concerned

Extenuating circumstances are like *******s.

Everyone has them.
Don't think i'll able to do STEP II and III lol. can i apply as many times as i want?

Oh sorry missed that you were applying for maths too instead of Econ or Land economy.

As long as you meet the standard offer you can. Reapplying they assess it as completely new. There's no point applying more than twice though in my opinion. If you applied for Cambridge this year you wouldn't get an interview though. Just focus on your A2s would be my advice, I did a lot better when I wasn't thinking about university and only my grades.
Original post by Trinculo
Extenuating circumstances are like *******s.

Everyone has them.

Cambridge let me drop an A Level due to extenuating circumstances when I got my offer...
99/140
AQA reformed AS Level

thats a low B...

I didn't even get the highest in my class and got 126/140
Original post by citibankrec
thats a low B...

I didn't even get the highest in my class and got 126/140

my schools bad lol hopefully unis will be able to compare my results against others to see that i didnt completely flop
Cambridge let me drop an A Level due to extenuating circumstances when I got my offer...

That doesn't mean everyone doesn't have them. If what you say is true, everyone that applies to Cambridge is mad to not play them up.
I'd prefer to stay close to home. London unis are in my cross hairs. im thinking Kings College for Mathematics with Finance and Management

Have you spoken to the admissions office? I am sure they would give you a reasonable expectation? Your personal statement will really count but it might be an idea to have a gap year as others have suggested, at least don't be afraid of having one as it can do a lot of good. I have heard that Oxford like to see a development curve but I am not sure if that's true and whether it relates to some colleges only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
50/50 only two possibilities getting in or not
Original post by Student1670
Have you spoken to the admissions office? I am sure they would give you a reasonable expectation? Your personal statement will really count but it might be an idea to have a gap year as others have suggested, at least don't be afraid of having one as it can do a lot of good. I have heard that Oxford like to see a development curve but I am not sure if that's true and whether it relates to some colleges only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you think top unis will be able to look past my AS grades if i prove myself to my fmaths teacher and try get an A* prediction out of him. A*A*A total?

I'd say take a gap year, because then you'll have the grades and ample time to perfect your personal statement along with wider reading. No harm in applying now, but the AS grades might bring the chances down.

Quick Reply

Latest