Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Forced to do BTEC, do I have options next year?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

In simple, I only got 4 GCSEs and so my options was very limited due to the fact I failed my english lang and maths, I'm retaking both of these and are confident over english language but I am going to revise INTENSELY to get atleast a C in my maths.

Now I was told during my interview that if I get my A*-C's in english and maths, and then my D*-P in my BTEC I would be able to do A levels, now my current teacher talks so much about a BTEC Level 3 to me where I just want to do my original A Levels choices I wanted to do.

Is it possible for me to do a complete change starting my second year into doing first year A Levels or am I limited now?

Simple solution which is what I done :
    AS/Year 12 - 3 AS Levels alongside a BTEC
    Results day - Do good in everything, drop the BTEC
    A2/Year 13 - Work for three A-Levels
    Leave with 3 A-levels and a BTEC certificate.
    Uni = No problem

But I think you have to be honest with yourself- why did you fail those GCSEs?

While there will be people who turned 4 GCSEs into a good degree via what Lee did, that's only really possibly if a) you failed because you were lazy and b) those results shocked you enough to pull your finger out.

IF you didn't do so well due to ability issues, AS/A2 are not for you. It's a huge leap from GCSE to AS which is why some colleges won't let you on their AS course without at least a B in the GCSE, plus a decent across-the-board GCSE pass profile.

Your teacher talking BTEC level 3 is probably got your best interests at heart, and recognises that 4 GCSEs isn't that great as a basis for AS/A2 levels.

Anything is possibly (within reason!) but you have to be honest with yourself about why you failed.

I have enrolled several students in the exact same situation as you this year and a couple of assignment in I can clearly see that A Levels would definitely have killed them off! Some are retaking Maths and English and a couple of Level 2 BTEC courses in order to increase their GCSE and Level 2 grades, they are doing ok. I have one student who insisted he could do BTEC Level 3 and he is now really struggling even though we have only done one assignment todate.

As one of the other posters said, you really have to be honest with yourself as to why you failed in the first place. Another thing to think about is that most A Level subjects are now linear and you wont sit an exam for two years. You will also be enrolled onto the New BTEC Level 3 which will incorporate an exam and controlled assessments, so it wont be easy either.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.