The Student Room Group

Jobs i could get with Crimiology and Psycology OU Degree

I am starting a degree with the Open University in October am doing BA(Hons) Criminology and Psychology. Am worried what future I could have with a degree like this. There are lots of people doing criminology, I thought that I might have a better chance at a job in future since am also doing criminology and psychology. But with government cuts am worried jobs are going to be scarce. It says on the course information I could get jobs in

police
prison and probation service
organisations concerned with civil liberties
human rights
social justice
victim support
crime prevention
community safety
conflict resolution

I also have my eye on Forensic Psychology because it might have better jobprospective, but am worried it’s going to be very difficult am not a brightperson I did not achieve many GCSE's and in my BTEC I achieved passes (because I was lazy), merits, and distinctions. And I did not do level 3 because I did not know I could get to uni with BTEC nor did I have any intension of going. In my college days I was lazy and I only achieved distinctions because tutors forced everybody to answer distinction questions, if it was not for my laziness I would have gotten distinctions all round.

I noticed that on the prospectus that both criminology and psychology andForensic Psychology both have the same jobs listed am not sure if the qualifications are a bit the same.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question am new here.
Original post by oneofthegirls
I am starting a degree with the Open University in October am doing BA(Hons) Criminology and Psychology. Am worried what future I could have with a degree like this. There are lots of people doing criminology, I thought that I might have a better chance at a job in future since am also doing criminology and psychology. But with government cuts am worried jobs are going to be scarce. It says on the course information I could get jobs in

police
human rights
social justice
victim support
crime prevention
community safety
conflict resolution

I also have my eye on Forensic Psychology because it might have better jobprospective, but am worried it’s going to be very difficult am not a brightperson I did not achieve many GCSE's and in my BTEC I achieved passes (because I was lazy), merits, and distinctions. And I did not do level 3 because I did not know I could get to uni with BTEC nor did I have any intension of going. In my college days I was lazy and I only achieved distinctions because tutors forced everybody to answer distinction questions, if it was not for my laziness I would have gotten distinctions all round.

I noticed that on the prospectus that both criminology and psychology andForensic Psychology both have the same jobs listed am not sure if the qualifications are a bit the same.

The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want to do after you have completed your degree.

I have done a similar degree to Criminology and Psychology and ever since I graduated lets just say things are not easy as they looked.
But to be honest with you, it is all about getting experience too other than just getting your degree and also don't just think about roles in Criminology and Psychology, you need to get out there because the job you want (no not need) may no longer exist in the public sector.

Have you thought about volunteering? Yes OK you don't get paid for it (but you will for travel expenses), but at least you will know what you want to do later on in your life.
However i need to warn you, that you must commit at least 6 months with some public sector charities/organisations. I used to volunteer for Victim Support during my degree and they required me to commit at least 6 months, which I did but due to the circumstances it wasn't ideally convenient for me.

police
human rights
social justice
victim support
crime prevention
community safety
conflict resolution

The vast majority of graduate jobs don't require a specific degree. So with a Criminology and Psychology degree there are many doors open to you, including ones not directly related to those areas. The degree is just there to tick the 'has a degree box' on an employers list of requirements. The rest of securing a job is entirely down you- that is gaining work experience (essential) and putting together a strong application.

police
human rights
social justice
victim support
crime prevention
community safety
conflict resolution

i advise you do volunteering in a criminal justice service, e.g. look up local organisations and charities/ third sector etc. you will find it really beneficial to get some practical experience alongside your studies, because most jobs in crime want you to have experience with e.g. young offenders. the only way to get that experience is to either volunteer or get an entry level job that doesnt require any experience (and how common are they?)
Original post by Boreism
The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want to do after you have completed your degree.

I have done a similar degree to Criminology and Psychology and ever since I graduated lets just say things are not easy as they looked.
But to be honest with you, it is all about getting experience too other than just getting your degree and also don't just think about roles in Criminology and Psychology, you need to get out there because the job you want (no not need) may no longer exist in the public sector.

Have you thought about volunteering? Yes OK you don't get paid for it (but you will for travel expenses), but at least you will know what you want to do later on in your life.
However i need to warn you, that you must commit at least 6 months with some public sector charities/organisations. I used to volunteer for Victim Support during my degree and they required me to commit at least 6 months, which I did but due to the circumstances it wasn't ideally convenient for me.

yeah victim support wouldnt let me volunteer with them whilst i was at uni, which i found strange

however there are other voluntary organisations that dont require such a big time commitment, i volunteer in a prison and its like once a month. it just depends who you go with, others can be once a week for an hour or two. but it does really help to have those experiences under your belt, both for future job prospects but also so you have real world experiences rather than just reading about it
Original post by Chocolatesoup
yeah victim support wouldnt let me volunteer with them whilst i was at uni, which i found strange

however there are other voluntary organisations that dont require such a big time commitment, i volunteer in a prison and its like once a month. it just depends who you go with, others can be once a week for an hour or two. but it does really help to have those experiences under your belt, both for future job prospects but also so you have real world experiences rather than just reading about it

It's not strange when it's known university students don't really commit because of the pressure of balancing between work experience and studies.
Hence why graduates struggle to find a job because most don't bother as they don't think experience is important...well now they know the hard way.
Original post by Boreism
It's not strange when it's known university students don't really commit because of the pressure of balancing between work experience and studies.
Hence why graduates struggle to find a job because most don't bother as they don't think experience is important...well now they know the hard way.

nah I meant strange as in I asked if there were volunteering opportunities in general, thinking there would at least be something part-time, and was told no, you can only do full-time case work. when other people I know have volunteered with them in the past for a few hours a week, and another person I know does 1 day a week (a few hours). so to be told flat out no, i did find strange (plus I thought theyd want people to volunteer, maybe they get more than they need, who knows).
These sort of degrees do not lead to immediate employment in the field without further training or education, also if you know someone who knows someone.

Volunteering whilst studying the degree would be your best shot, but not many people are in a position to offer volunteering hours whilst studying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending