The Student Room Group

Am I likely to get offers!?

Warwick - A*AA
Nottingham - A*AA/AAA
Bristol - AAA
UCL - AAA
St Andrews - AAA

My AS results: ABBB in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology respectively (4 UMS away from AAAA all together )
A2 Predictions: A*AA in Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively.
GCSEs: 6A 3B

I also have a few questions:

1. Would they take my UMS into consideration? As I was soooo close to getting AAAA will they consider this when deciding on whether to give me an offer? It will be mentioned in my teacher references.

2. Do any of these universities place a strong emphasis on GCSEs? I'm aware that my GCSEs are low so i'm hoping that they will care more about predicted grades.

All opinions are appreciated,

Many thanks!
Reply 1
I would recommend applying to a few universities with lower entry requirements and keeping a couple of these.
Reply 2
what course(s) are you thinking of taking at uni?
Original post by gomc
what course(s) are you thinking of taking at uni?

Nottingham: Mathematical Physics MSci
UCL: Physics MSci
Warwick: Physics MSci
St Andrews: Maths and Theoretical Physics MSci
Bristol: Theoretical Physics MSci
Original post by W. A. Mozart

You need one with lower grades as an insurance offer.

Warwick - A*AA
Nottingham - A*AA/AAA
Bristol - AAA
UCL - AAA
St Andrews - AAA

Warwick have an offer rate of ~98% for the MPhys Physics course, so you're pretty much definitely going to get an offer from them. I'd assume the ~2% who got rejected were people being a little too aspirational, although I can't say for certain.

Nottingham have an offer rate of ~95% for the MSci Physics course, so again as above - you're pretty much guaranteed an offer from them. Also something to note is that the offer range is A*AA to AAB - you will get the latter if you go to a bad state school/college and/or live in a deprived area or meet other contextual criteria.

Bristol have an offer rate of 86% for the MSci Physics course, so you'll probably get an offer. If you meet contextual criteria (as I said above) you will get an AAB offer.

UCL have an offer rate of 56% for the MSci Physics course. With your predicted grades exceeding their offer you may get an offer, but I'm not sure how much emphasis they place on GCSEs.

St Andrews have an offer rate of 50% for the MPhys Physics course. I'm not sure about what exactly they consider but I've sent Physics admissions an email, and I'll quote you back with their response.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Warwick have an offer rate of ~98% for the MPhys Physics course, so you're pretty much definitely going to get an offer from them. I'd assume the ~2% who got rejected were people being a little too aspirational, although I can't say for certain.

Nottingham have an offer rate of ~95% for the MSci Physics course, so again as above - you're pretty much guaranteed an offer from them. Also something to note is that the offer range is A*AA to AAB - you will get the latter if you go to a bad state school/college and/or live in a deprived area or meet other contextual criteria.

Bristol have an offer rate of 86% for the MSci Physics course, so you'll probably get an offer. If you meet contextual criteria (as I said above) you will get an AAB offer.

UCL have an offer rate of 56% for the MSci Physics course. With your predicted grades exceeding their offer you may get an offer, but I'm not sure how much emphasis they place on GCSEs.

St Andrews have an offer rate of 50% for the MPhys Physics course. I'm not sure about what exactly they consider but I've sent Physics admissions an email, and I'll quote you back with their response.

Wow, thank you very much!

Nottingham's position this year for physics was a baseline AAB offer if you made them firm but with no leeway (ie min they'd accept) altho that was just was straight physics rather than Mathematical physics
Original post by Colinj451
Nottingham's position this year for physics was a baseline AAB offer if you made them firm but with no leeway (ie min they'd accept) altho that was just was straight physics rather than Mathematical physics

Thanks for this information!

I wasn't aware that they did this. I may be more inclined to firm them now (if I get an offer).
You would probably need to consider another university with lower entry requirements for the course you would like to do, or if you definitely want to go to one of the universities you have in the list, maybe you could pick a slightly different course with lower grades. :smile:
Thanks for this information!

I wasn't aware that they did this. I may be more inclined to firm them now (if I get an offer).

That was position this year so it may change but was spelled out clearly in initial applicant day talk by Prof Moriaty
That was position this year so it may change but was spelled out clearly in initial applicant day talk by Prof Moriaty

Thank you very much!

I will probably call Nottingham before firming just to make sure.
Warwick - A*AA
Nottingham - A*AA/AAA
Bristol - AAA
UCL - AAA
St Andrews - AAA

My AS results: ABBB in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology respectively (4 UMS away from AAAA all together )
A2 Predictions: A*AA in Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively.
GCSEs: 6A 3B

I also have a few questions:

1. Would they take my UMS into consideration? As I was soooo close to getting AAAA will they consider this when deciding on whether to give me an offer? It will be mentioned in my teacher references.

2. Do any of these universities place a strong emphasis on GCSEs? I'm aware that my GCSEs are low so i'm hoping that they will care more about predicted grades.

All opinions are appreciated,

Many thanks!

Yes, because you're Mozart most of all, not because of your grades.
Thank you very much!

I will probably call Nottingham before firming just to make sure.

Bear in mind you'll have an interview (Jan-March?) and then an offer before that so it should be clarified well before you have to firm
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Yes, because you're Mozart most of all, not because of your grades.

:mmm::mmm::mmm:

Bear in mind you'll have an interview (Jan-March?) and then an offer before that so it should be clarified well before you have to firm

Thanks again, this is good to know. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending