The Student Room Group

good A-levels for law

Hi, I would like to be a solicitor, probably more family based and want to go on and study law at a Uni. i was just wondering if i have taken the right Alevels. i took
Enlgish Lit
History
and sociology (for the family aspect as I'm am more aimed at family law)
I didn't do the A-level law because I was told you didn't need it to do it at A-level, is that correct and can i still get into a top uni to study law with really good grades in these subjects?
Law, English Language, maths and history is what I was going to choose. I'm in my second year at college and I'm doing btec business level 3 since my GCSEs didn't go to plan but I'm still getting the grades to go Plymouth to do law next year hopefully even with a btec so you don't really need to worry too much about what you choose. Plus most universities require you to take a LNAP (Law National Aptitude Test) to make sure you are right for the course, if I believe. Good luck anyways.

You don't really need a top university to go to. I definitely helps. But I found that most solicitors offer training contracts from many different universities that are even significantly lower ranked than Cambridge and Oxford in that subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
English Lit and History are the most important. They're both essay based and facilitating subjects so universities love them. They show that you can analysise and write essays, the main skills needed for a Lawyer. Doesn't really matter what the third is because you got the best 2 A Levels needed to Law at Uni. Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest