The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Too scared to take antidepressants

Today I got prescribed antidepressants after years of dealing with constant anxiety. Recently though my anxiety hasn't been so bad, and I'm really scared of taking the AD incase it does more harm than good. What if it makes me even more anxious, as right now it's not too bad? My anxiety usually comes in cycles so it will be really bad for a few days, and then good for up to a week or so. What if they make me feel bad all the time? Does anyone have any experience with antidepressants prescribed for anxiety, especially SSRIs (I got prescribed Citalopram).

I'm also starting uni next week. Do I have to avoid alcohol completely if I take it? I'm not one to go out and drink, but just incase should I be completely sober?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Today I got prescribed antidepressants after years of dealing with constant anxiety. Recently though my anxiety hasn't been so bad, and I'm really scared of taking the AD incase it does more harm than good. What if it makes me even more anxious, as right now it's not too bad? My anxiety usually comes in cycles so it will be really bad for a few days, and then good for up to a week or so. What if they make me feel bad all the time? Does anyone have any experience with antidepressants prescribed for anxiety, especially SSRIs (I got prescribed Citalopram).

I'm also starting uni next week. Do I have to avoid alcohol completely if I take it? I'm not one to go out and drink, but just incase should I be completely sober?

Citalopram was fine once my body got used to it. TAKE IT IN THE MORNING!!! I tried taking it in the evening for a bit and my god I felt wired lying in bed trying to sleep.
The first week was a little tricky for me- I felt a bit more tired and struggled to get to sleep but it stopped after that week. Side effects are different for everyone though! Some lucky people don't even get any!
I have noticed that my general happiness levels are increased and I just feel more positive generally. Like it hasn't helped me deal with certain situations, but I think about things less because I'm not in that mindset. Your description could have been written by me! Except I describe mine as peaks and troughs...
Alcohol-wise I was fine with that too. I never drank heavily, but felt fine if I just had a few drinks (I say a few, but I drink double vodkas...). Go easy on it and make sure you know how you feel drinking normally. I also made sure the people with me knew I was taking citalopram in case anything went wrong (which it didn't but it's better safe than sorry).

You probably won't notice anything happening at first, but looking back I have noticed a difference. Slight mood changes are such a difficult thing to spot as you have so many factors that affect it.

If you've been offered CBT, I'd suggest doing that too as that's ultimately what will help the most. Well, probability-wise it is- everyone is different!

In short, I recommend giving it a go. I always have it with food as I heard some people have nausea if they have it on an empty stomach but I don't know any different as I've never experienced it. The effects aren't permanent and you can always stop taking them (you need to be weaned off them) if you really don't like them. But it's worth trying if you're finding things difficult.
Reply 2
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Citalopram was fine once my body got used to it. TAKE IT IN THE MORNING!!! I tried taking it in the evening for a bit and my god I felt wired lying in bed trying to sleep.
The first week was a little tricky for me- I felt a bit more tired and struggled to get to sleep but it stopped after that week. Side effects are different for everyone though! Some lucky people don't even get any!
I have noticed that my general happiness levels are increased and I just feel more positive generally. Like it hasn't helped me deal with certain situations, but I think about things less because I'm not in that mindset. Your description could have been written by me! Except I describe mine as peaks and troughs...
Alcohol-wise I was fine with that too. I never drank heavily, but felt fine if I just had a few drinks (I say a few, but I drink double vodkas...). Go easy on it and make sure you know how you feel drinking normally. I also made sure the people with me knew I was taking citalopram in case anything went wrong (which it didn't but it's better safe than sorry).

You probably won't notice anything happening at first, but looking back I have noticed a difference. Slight mood changes are such a difficult thing to spot as you have so many factors that affect it.

If you've been offered CBT, I'd suggest doing that too as that's ultimately what will help the most. Well, probability-wise it is- everyone is different!

In short, I recommend giving it a go. I always have it with food as I heard some people have nausea if they have it on an empty stomach but I don't know any different as I've never experienced it. The effects aren't permanent and you can always stop taking them (you need to be weaned off them) if you really don't like them. But it's worth trying if you're finding things difficult.

Thank you so much for your help, that does somewhat reassuring. Though I'm still pretty petrified of taking them . . . especially since now I've found out that a friend of mine was hospitalised for a panic attack due to Citalopram. Nice. To be honest I might give therapy another go. I can't even take contraceptive pills because of a similar kind of anxiety I'm too scared of any medication that can affect the mind.
Reply 3
Don't be frightened. You can only give it a go and see if it suits you, and there are so many other options if that doesn't work out.

You don't need to abstain from alcohol.
Thank you so much for your help, that does somewhat reassuring. Though I'm still pretty petrified of taking them . . . especially since now I've found out that a friend of mine was hospitalised for a panic attack due to Citalopram. Nice. To be honest I might give therapy another go. I can't even take contraceptive pills because of a similar kind of anxiety I'm too scared of any medication that can affect the mind.

On those too and they are a god send! 😝
Unfortunately it's difficult to tell if the citalopram actually did anything to cause their panic attack- especially because the mind isn't really a physical thing that we understand fully and can predict. The thing with antidepressants is that you are usually taking them for a reason (I'd hope anyway!), and that reason is still there despite medication. I'm generally quite pro-taking medication (I would be, being a pharmacy student!) but only when it'll actually be helpful. With citalopram, unless you address the route cause of your anxiety/depression, the reason you're taking it won't generally disappear from taking these magical tablets. That's just me saying try to combine it with therapy, but citalopram does help in the short-term and as a general aid for the low moods and worry as a result.

The contraceptive pill is a little miracle and the best thing about it is that there are so many varieties! If one doesn't suit you, you can try a different one until you find one that works best for you. I honestly couldn't tell I was taking the tablets asides from suddenly periods being regular and not being sick for a week every month! It interacts with very few drugs, and they do your blood pressure every time you get another prescription so you're looked after. I'm not just pushing a ton of medication on you I swear (even though it does rather sound like it...!)

Have they suggested a dosage at all? If you're worried, try and start at 10mg once a day and work your way up. You may not even notice them doing anything at that dosage but it's a good way to get used to the idea. I also need to add that citalopram is such a well-tested drug and it's very safe. They wouldn't still be recommending it if the negatives outweighed the positives (this is basically the fundamentals of medicine design in terms of side effects)
You might find that citalopram lowers your alcohol tolerance. When I was on SSRIs I got incredibly drunk after 2 beers. So while you don't need to avoid alcohol, I would advise being very careful especially with new people and a new environment etc.
I take citalopram as well, so if you have any more questions feel free to ask! I've been on a couple of other different SSRIs and this has been the best. I take it every morning. There was no drastic change or anything. It just helped me deal with things a bit better, which in turn made me feel a lot better. I drink alcohol while on it, but I find I tolerate alcohol a bit differently. I can't drink wine unless I've already been drinking because I'll feel a bit sick, and I get drunk easier. Just take it easy the first couple of times you drink and you'll be able to learn if you have a different tolerance :smile: If you're worried about it doing you harm, remember that you can call your doctor and see them if you're having side effects. They won't leave you on it if it makes you worse! It's one of the very few drugs that is friendly to my body, and my brother used to get on well with it as well. Try not to worry too much, and your doctor or pharmacist can help you with any worries as well!
I've just been prescribed Citalopram. I've been on them before about a year ago but I was going through such a bad time they didn't really help, and they made me incredibly sick. I'm going at them again a year later, hopefully this time I'll see benefits.

AD are scary but it's worth a shot to see if they help. Sometimes a particular brand won't work or you may need to increase/decrease the dosage. Sadly it is very much trial and error. I say give them a shot, see how things go, and if you don't want to take them anymore then just ease yourself off them.

Ironic is the reason you wont try them is because of anxiety. Millions take them. Bu all means try the other methods such as exercise or CBT, but if you have eanxiety that is affecting your life then you need to do something. They arent addictive so you can come off them easily and ive never heard of them being harmful. of within the prescribed 20-40mg limits.
Reply 9
I was prescribed them but didn't go through. I had side effects and know too much about Big Pharma (terrible pharmaceutical companies that have a strangle hold over the NHS to push their products) to trust them.

I changed my job, my depression left.

In my case, my depression is situational, not biological. I get out of situations I hate and I'm happy again.

I would advise you to try the same (if it is more biological - i.e. if you feel depressed even when life is amazing then you may need to keep switching meds until you find the right one - but I think in many peoples' cases, DECENT, high quality therapy and DECENT cognitive behavioural therapy is better - the NHS is generally rubbish but there are some good practitioners so stick with it till you find the right one).

I also recommend "The Anxiety Institute" on Twitter. They have great info there on overcoming anxiety.

Another thing which has really helped me is ASMR videos on Youtube to help me sleep; as well as creating Vision-boards/slideshows of my goals to keep my mind focused when life gets tough.

It's usually easier to replace bad things with good things than it is to eliminate bad things.

Also: Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is really good. Changes negative thought patterns and releases you from the mental "cage" that many depressed and anxious people live in.

Learning to put yourself first; stop living by other peoples' standards and focus on finding truly decent people - not living up to what the media tell you to do "be popular/look a certain way/change yourself" - it's all ******** designed to keep people depressed and miserable.

Also.. make relaxation a priority. Things flow better when we're relaxed (us anxious ppl think we have to do so much, but mostly we just need to chill the **** out). But it's best not to use drugs or alcohol for this. Be independent with your own mind as your toolkit. It takes time but it's worth it.

Anyhows, that's what I've found. Hope it's helpful :smile:

I've only tried two and both were horrible experiences

Sertraline 50mg was just the making me genuinely want to kill myself, 5mg lexapro was barable but 10mg was almost as bad as the sertraline.

Honest answer, first 2 weeks might be a bit rough, but your GP should check up on you by that time. They will actually do the opposite and do more good in the long term. I suggest you take them as prescribed and at your 1 week check up or even before if you still have any concerns like side effects and stuff mention them as well!! in the mean time you could do some research on cognitive behavioral therapy and possibly discuss it with your GP if you are still uncomfortable with taking AD?
P.s I will leave this here for you if you want to have a look: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

About the alcohol, there is not much of an issue with drinking (3-4 units or 2-3 daily if you're male/female respectively) while taking Citalopram, just be careful of increased drowsiness if you drive!
(edited 7 years ago)
Citalopram has really helped me with both depression and anxiety :h:

There's been no side effects with me whatsoever, I still drive and do anything I normally would
1. SSRI'S did nothing for my anxiety, excellent for my depression though
2. If you are this anxious about the effects of taking them, it might be better speaking with your doctor

3. BETA BLOCKERS

BETA BLOCKERS BETA BLOCKERS BETA BLOCKERS
Original post by BabyLadDarren
I've only tried two and both were horrible experiences

Sertraline 50mg was just the making me genuinely want to kill myself, 5mg lexapro was barable but 10mg was almost as bad as the sertraline.

Unfortunately SSRi's can increase suicidal ideation especially in the first weeks of use! That's why your GP should be checking up on you 1 week later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
1. SSRI'S did nothing for my anxiety, excellent for my depression though
2. If you are this anxious about the effects of taking them, it might be better speaking with your doctor

3. BETA BLOCKERS

BETA BLOCKERS BETA BLOCKERS BETA BLOCKERS

Depends what OP's symptoms are like shaking,palpation, sweating etc then they can be quite beneficial! (Hope OP is not Asthmatic)
I was scared of them and put them off for about six years. Recently though I've had an episode so bad that I would take anything (depression and anxiety).

I was prescribed fluoxetine. I've been taking it for three weeks. I haven't had any of the scary physical symptoms I'd read about in the Internet. The first two weeks were dark mentally...perhaps darker. My doctor said that would happen. It's always hard to tell if it's a coincidence or not isn't it though? I wouldn't say I feel them working yet but I won't have regretted trying them and I will try more if I need to. I suppose it's a personal question of at what point you will literally take anything that might help you to get rid of the pain.*

It's tough. *
Original post by CHEM AND BIO TIME!
Unfortunately SSRi's can increase suicidal ideation especially in the first weeks of use! That's why your GP should be checking up on you 2 weeks later.

yeah i know people say the sides are bad but you really can't prepare for how bad they can be.

not to mention my ability to ejaculate was non-existent
Reply 18
Ive been on a few antidepressants. First two i tried were like smarties to me. No side effects and no change in mood etc. Citalopram reacts really poorly with me. I had chest pains, heart palpitations, mother of all migraine but at least o had no appetite

Moved onto a SNRI and they've been amazing, saved my life.

Its not a case of drugs or therapy. Drugs can help you properly access therapy. Theres no way i would cope with the therspy i have without meds. I need to not be in crisis mode to work on my stuff. One day i might be able to reduce and stop but for now im on them

Also drugs and alcohol are not good mix. Wheb i was on fluxoetine, having alcohol would be like being roofied. It made me really vulnerable. This is similar to effect i have now, i just drink about 80% less and only few timws a year
I've been on AD 2 times when I was a student and in 2015. AD help with anxiety and sleep but have bad withdrawal symptoms like vertigo,dizziness if you don't reduce them gradually.. I'm currently tapering off seroxat (paroxetine) from Feb 2016 and its been tricky. Just to advice you before you start taking them that once your body gets used to them you cant stop them at once.hope that helps. sorry for my english as I'm not a native english speaker.

Latest

Trending

Trending