The Student Room Group

Need tips for gcse

Hi, i have just started yr 11 and am 8 months away until my actual exams. I study triple science, french, history, re, sociology, english adn maths. Is there any advice you can give in order to achieve my personal target of 3a*s and 7a's in terms of revision and different ways on how i should revise.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Well it works differently for everyone. I personally winged it and got a grade of 7A*+4A, I did past papers a week or two before the exams actually came, and I read through the textbooks a couple of times. My other classmates studied for 9 hours a day, seven days a week two months before the exams. If you aren't confident or you think you need to work harder than others, I would suggest you start revising lightly 6 months before the exams, and start reading and doing past papers near the 3 month mark before the exam. Don't stress out, IGCSE isn't that hard at all, don't put to much stress on yourself and you'll do fine :smile:
Original post by 12i.hussein
Hi, i have just started yr 11 and am 8 months away until my actual exams. I study triple science, french, history, re, sociology, english adn maths. Is there any advice you can give in order to achieve my personal target of 3a*s and 7a's in terms of revision and different ways on how i should revise.

Thank you.

Find what works for you. You may do well with flashcards, past papers, revision websites, mind maps or even post-its plastered all over your room. Try and find what works well for you, and stick to it. Start getting past papers in around probably 4 months before your exams, although doing a few earlier would be good too. Don't burn yourself out revising, because you'll find nothing goes in. Just do what you're comfortable with. Keep all of your notes from your classes and don't lose them like I did because you'll want to refer back to them later. Things like MyMaths and SAM Learning were good websites for revision too :smile:
Original post by 12i.hussein

Thank you.

For maths do every single past paper available! Also watch videos like corbett maths, hegarty maths.
For english make mind maps on the different books/plays. Link ideas together. If you're naturally gifted at English and are a good writer then you probably don't need to do much.
For science watch videos and make notes- gcse science and free science lessons are very good websites. If you're doing AQA double/triple award science then use the spec- it is very useful! Then do loads of past papers; science and maths are subjects in which the questions are pretty much different versions of other previous questions.

For languages use flashcards if you want to. I never did, but lots of people found useful for vocab. Then do past papers- especially listening papers as generally they are harder and you get used to hearing that language being spoken.
For humanity subjects and business studies you can use flash cards- basically anything with key terms that you need to know.
For essay subjects you must practice your exam technique through mock papers/past papers so you know what the examiner is looking for. Examiners reports are also very, very useful.

And if you do religious studies, I'm pretty sure you can wing it!

Best of luck for the rest of yr 11, it will fly by!

Spoiler

Taken from another thread, but I hope this helps! You should be fine getting your desired grades, I got 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs in the summer without doing any revision!:smile: Best of luck!x

GCSE's are definitely not as hard as they seem...
Reply 4
Thanks guys so much, really made me feel that little better about gcse.
Reply 5
revise

Quick Reply

Latest