The Student Room Group

What makes a complete GCE/O-Level?

I am a private candidate for CIE examination (http://www.cie.org.uk) from outside UK and I am not sure what makes a complete GCE/O-level. I have to complete it within a year and I cannot take science subjects because of the complexity.

My future goal is to get admission into a good university offering Business Studies with Information Systems/Information Management/Information Tech. in either Australia, New Zealand or UK.

Here are the subjects I'll be taking:

Mathematics D syllabus - aiming for D grade at least
English Language - confident about a C grade at least
Business Studies
Economics
Sociology

As far as I know, a minimum of 5 subjects are required at GCE/O-level and 3 subjects at A-level for university entrance (with good grades to meet UCAS points). I am confident about getting good grades at mathematics and english. But all that's worrying me is the exclusion of the Science subjects. I am not really sure if Business studies later on in universities would rank applicants with science subjects, above the vice-versa?

Please let me know. Will appreciate any input :smile:
Usually the only subjects you need at GCSE (which is our equivalent of O levels) are English and maths, so those subjects should be fine, but you really need to get Cs or above in all of them.
Reply 2
kellywood_5
Usually the only subjects you need at GCSE (which is our equivalent of O levels) are English and maths, so those subjects should be fine, but you really need to get Cs or above in all of them.

Thanks for the reply kellywood_5. My research says the same, but just wanted to confirm. Confusion is whether or not Science subjects are required for Business+Information Systems/Management/Technology at all?

I am planning to write English, Economics and Business Studies A-level exams later on, so there's no science at all in here. Neither at O-levels, nor at A-level.

I just can't stand chemistry and somewhat of biology and physics, as a matter of fact.

Plus, I wonder if there's a minimum requirement of O-level subjects? Is it 3, 4, or 5 subjects? I have found contradicting info previously. Some sources say, a minimum of 3, and some say it as much as 5. A few have also recommended 7. *confused*
Reply 3
struck
Thanks for the reply kellywood_5. My research says the same, but just wanted to confirm. Confusion is whether or not Science subjects are required for Business+Information Systems/Management/Technology at all?

I am planning to write English, Economics and Business Studies A-level exams later on, so there's no science at all in here. Neither at O-levels, nor at A-level.

I just can't stand chemistry and somewhat of biology and physics, as a matter of fact.

Plus, I wonder if there's a minimum requirement of O-level subjects? Is it 3, 4, or 5 subjects? I have found contradicting info previously. Some sources say, a minimum of 3, and some say it as much as 5. A few have also recommended 7. *confused*
Realistically, I wonder how big a task you are setting yourself to take all these exams in one year? Do you have any qualifications in your own country that could count as equivalent to GCSE?

A problem you could have is that you would be competing for places with people who have more GCSEs than you, probably including a language as well as sciences. Even though the minimum entry requirement might be 5 GCSEs A*-C, in practice the higher ranked unis expect much more than that. Also I am not sure whether English will count as a foreign language for you, but as you have to be able to demonstrate ability in English to be admitted to the course at all it may not.

It would be a good idea to contact the Admissions Tutors of the unis you are interested in and discuss your situation with them before you make any important decisions.
struck

I don't think so, but you can check the entry requirements at different unis by doing a course search at www.ucas.com. I'm not sure whether it's the same for O levels because we do GCSEs now in the UK, but most students take at least 9 of these. However, the minimum requirement for unis is usually 5. As kw2005 said, if you have any qualifications that are equivalent to GCSEs, so taken at the age of around 16, you could use those instead. Admissions tutors are used to dealing with applications from foreign students with alternative qualifications, so they will be able to advise you.

Latest

Trending

Trending