The Student Room Group

Medicine Personal Statement - HELP URGENT!!

Hi, I will have to submit my personal statement soon and need some help. When talking about work experience, do we have to mention the name of the hospital/clinic, where we shadowed a doctor? Or if we have volunteered at a care home, do we have to mention the name of the care home?

Also, anyone knows where we can get a professional review of the personal statement for a small fee or even free? Not too costly that is.. And needs to be reviewed in a day or less; cause my application deadline is in 2 days. Please do let me know soon!
Reply 1
Original post by AspiringSword
Hi, I will have to submit my personal statement soon and need some help. When talking about work experience, do we have to mention the name of the hospital/clinic, where we shadowed a doctor? Or if we have volunteered at a care home, do we have to mention the name of the care home?

Also, anyone knows where we can get a professional review of the personal statement for a small fee or even free? Not too costly that is.. And needs to be reviewed in a day or less; cause my application deadline is in 2 days. Please do let me know soon!

If you have more than 100 posts you can get a free review on TSR!

Don't send your personal statement to anyone by pm or email though, as you don't know what they will do with it. TSR PS Helpers have all been verified by TSR.
Specific names don't need be be mentioned - I've even heard some universities say they prefer candidates not to as this can seem like bragging/they care about what you learnt not where it was
Some may ask afterwards for a list of places though, just to do checks to make sure people aren't lying i suppose
Try asking teachers at school to read it, or relatives
Reply 3
I payed for a few "professional reviews" as I was so desperate (2nd time applying) and willing to pay. My experience is the following:

The "free" reviews - i.e. asking people to look at my personal statements were really pointless, as no one really cared, hence people were simply not very critical (although at the time, I felt happy as the people said my personal statement was very good). Also, I wouldn't send my personal statement to anyone, as they could always use it for someone else.

I found companies who offered a service for a small fee for, i.e. in the £20-30 range. They were better but as they were usually medical students without much experience, I felt they were sometimes just giving opinions that were not justifiable.

I also found professional reviews offered at a slightly higher bracket £50-70 range, and I went for a couple of companies including one called UKMeducation (www.ukmeducation.com) - I met them at a course. I think they are senior doctors who have been involved in the process, and their critique was actually really good. They said they would take 7 days to check my personal statement but got back to me within 3 with a 5-page critique, that I found more useful than any other groups. If you do go with them, my suggestions are as follows: They offer packages, I initially booked one critique, but later chose to book another one more (if I had booked two reviews at the start, I would have saved some money), so think about what you need beforehand. I would also suggest, that you also ask for a phone consult if they offer that option as they go through your statement and offer cool suggestions over the phone which I found really useful, and no one else seems to offer this in as much detail.

PM me if you want to know any more info about any of the above groups. Happy to answer any questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending