The Student Room Group
Reply 1
this might be a really rubbish idea, but how about doing an investigation as to whether the river is a model of an ideal stream. there's a diagram in a textbook i have on fieldwork investigation that's called the 'model of an ideal stream' and basically it shows that you'd expect a river to get wider,deeper,faster,carry more load,smaller sized load, less friction,higher discharge and be more efficient the further downstream you go.

then you could take various samples along the river and measure
width, depth, speed, amount and size of load etc.
What do you mean by a "really good site"? What is so good about this river - is it particularly conventional or unconventional? Or - deep breath - did you mean that you are aware of a particularly helpful website?
Reply 3
the investigation title is...

"Does .... river possess the same typical characteristics as what should be seen in the bradshaw model"

You then AUTOMATICALLY have 6/7 variables you can investigate. Clearly not every variable will follow the model, and then you can give explanations why, give pictures to back findings up (e.g. not so significant erosion as the river is too large to investigate, etc).
You do your findings after every 20/30 metres.
For my coursework, i did 24 sites
so therefore 20 metres x 24 sites = 480 metres of river investigated. That should give you a very good indication.
If you have good equipment, you could get numerical values (quantitive data) as well as qualitative. This can include a wind propeller to record the speed at which a river is travelling at a certain distance. Measurements can be recorded in so many forms of data (e.g. line graph, bar chart, etc).
In short, i got a high A on my rivers coursework (in Lake District) and if you need ANY help, pm me or reply to this.
Anthony

Latest

Trending

Trending