Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exeter to Durham long distance relationship

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

5 days ago my boyfriend went to uni. We've been together for just over 2 years.But now we're a 8+ hour car journey away from eachother. I keep crying and looking at my phone, I just want to talk to him. We've spoken every day on the phone. I know thats sounds like alot but we lived a 3 minute walk from eachother before, seeing eachother everyday.

Now he hardly texts me (once every 6 hours) but is always online on facebook messenger and says its because he's talking to course mates. My arguement is if you can text them, can't you take 30seconds to text me? Its me putting in all the effort at the moment.

I start uni in 2 weeks time. We'll see eachother every 5 weeks. So I'm wondering if anyone has survived a ldr and any advice? Will it get easier after his freshers and he starts lectures?

I really love him. And he says he loves me. But i feel like I'm grieving. He's all i think about, and my friends have all started uni too so I have no one

Please help, I do not want to break up. I want to try and make this work

(Original post by nobodycarescarla)
    5 days ago my boyfriend went to uni
    Nobody cares Carla

Just kidding! This is a toughie, particularly given how long you've been together, how regular the contact has been, and how close you clearly feel you've become (albeit that it's clear you’re not convinced he loves you, and we all know how important it is to judge people by their actions, not their words, when it comes to love)

Unfortunately, all you can do is give him some space and time, and hope that things pick up once freshers is out the way, aye. Ultimately, he will invest to the extent that he feels is right and worthwhile, there's little/nothing you can do to influence this and, quite often, the more you may try, the more problems this may throw up for you both

I commented on the topic just the other day, you might like to check out this guide, and my additional thoughts on it. It’s premature to break up at this stage but is certainly a good time to have a serious talk. Really important to check in and agree conventions/boundaries etc so there can be no mistakes

All the best
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.