The Student Room Group

New with a few questions

Hey guys, I just joined Edexcel AS and A2, any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by Carbon_Dioxide
Hey guys, I just joined Edexcel AS and A2, any tips?

Hi!
I also did Edexcel A levels!:smile:
Hmm... What subjects are you taking? Or would you just want me to give you general advice on studying tips?
-Gabrielle
Original post by Gabygum
Hi!
I also did Edexcel A levels!:smile:
Hmm... What subjects are you taking? Or would you just want me to give you general advice on studying tips?
-Gabrielle

I take Chemistry and Biology AS in January and A2 in June
I took Cambridge before but didn't do very well and I had to move to a city where Edexcel was more well known so I'm kinda forced to switch. Anyway, How hard is the syllabus and how much time do AS and A2 need. Thx for replying
Reply 3
I take Chemistry and Biology AS in January and A2 in June
I took Cambridge before but didn't do very well and I had to move to a city where Edexcel was more well known so I'm kinda forced to switch. Anyway, How hard is the syllabus and how much time do AS and A2 need. Thx for replying

Hi!
Sorry, I can't say anything about Chemistry because I only took Biology, Psychology, English and Math. Biology wasn't very difficult especially A2. The unit 3 and 6 papers in Biology are practicals. This actually means that it is mostly memorisation work( especially Unit 6 where there are fixed answers that you can memorise). I had done all 4 subjects within 2 years. If you are a visual learner (like me), then Crash Course on Youtube is a good idea to help you with your revision. The textbook will give you sufficient information to prepare for your examinations. You don't actually need revision guides; they are a good to have but not a must.
A good thing about Edexcel is that you can retake the papers.
You can do it!!!:smile:
-Gabrielle
Original post by Gabygum
Hi!
Sorry, I can't say anything about Chemistry because I only took Biology, Psychology, English and Math. Biology wasn't very difficult especially A2. The unit 3 and 6 papers in Biology are practicals. This actually means that it is mostly memorisation work( especially Unit 6 where there are fixed answers that you can memorise). I had done all 4 subjects within 2 years. If you are a visual learner (like me), then Crash Course on Youtube is a good idea to help you with your revision. The textbook will give you sufficient information to prepare for your examinations. You don't actually need revision guides; they are a good to have but not a must.
A good thing about Edexcel is that you can retake the papers.
You can do it!!!:smile:
-Gabrielle

I have 3 months left for my AS Bio and Chem, is that enough time? Sorry If I'm asking too many questions.
Reply 5
I have 3 months left for my AS Bio and Chem, is that enough time? Sorry If I'm asking too many questions.

No, don't worry!:smile: It's fine!
Have you done any AS units for Biology and Chemistry or are you doing all at one shot? 3 months is still quite a lot of time to be honest. What you should do at this point is actually to read through the textbook again and make sure you understand what you read so that you will not have to re-read it again. This will ensure that you are very sure that you know what you have revised. After you have done that, MARK SCHEMES! Look at the mark schemes to see what the examiners want so you won't lose marks. Don't worry, you will have time. Just make sure you are studying consistently every day so that you won't have to cram later on. My teacher used to tell me a week before my exam that I still had a lot of time to revise so don't stress about it!!!^^
Original post by Gabygum
No, don't worry!:smile: It's fine!
Have you done any AS units for Biology and Chemistry or are you doing all at one shot? 3 months is still quite a lot of time to be honest. What you should do at this point is actually to read through the textbook again and make sure you understand what you read so that you will not have to re-read it again. This will ensure that you are very sure that you know what you have revised. After you have done that, MARK SCHEMES! Look at the mark schemes to see what the examiners want so you won't lose marks. Don't worry, you will have time. Just make sure you are studying consistently every day so that you won't have to cram later on. My teacher used to tell me a week before my exam that I still had a lot of time to revise so don't stress about it!!!^^

I have studied the syllabus before. So youtube is enough, I don't need private tutors?
Reply 7
I have studied the syllabus before. So youtube is enough, I don't need private tutors?

If you have studied the syllabus before, then it should be easier for you. Youtube is definitely not enough but it is one other way that I had revised. Whether you need a tutor or not is actually dependent on whether you are on track with your revision or not and if you are able to understand what you are studying. If you have been studying consistently, you don't actually need a tutor. If you have many questions that you need help with, then a tutor is recommended. Please don't just count on youtube>< Sorry if you got the wrong idea.
Original post by Gabygum
If you have studied the syllabus before, then it should be easier for you. Youtube is definitely not enough but it is one other way that I had revised. Whether you need a tutor or not is actually dependent on whether you are on track with your revision or not and if you are able to understand what you are studying. If you have been studying consistently, you don't actually need a tutor. If you have many questions that you need help with, then a tutor is recommended. Please don't just count on youtube>< Sorry if you got the wrong idea.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks so much for your help.
Reply 9
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks so much for your help.

It's fine:smile: You can do it!!!^^

Quick Reply

Latest