The Student Room Group

Might be switching Universities, but what about my accommodation?

Will I still need to pay the rest of the accommodation instalments, I've already paid my first one.
Reply 1
Are you under contract?
Reply 2
Original post by r4dly
Are you under contract?

There was a contract yeah. I just thought maybe under circumstances of changing actual Uni it would be different.
Reply 3
Youll have to speak to them, I found the actual uni and their halls to be very harsh in their terms of contract but my private landlords have been great.

Also be aware that when you transfer it generates a whole new student loan application. Last year I transfered in thr last week of September and the loan didnt come until December the 12th. I then had to suspend due to debt and restart thid year, thats despitd SFE saying "yeah go to plymouth, there will be a two week delay but youll get the money"

So check everything twice is my only advice.
Reply 4
Original post by r4dly
Youll have to speak to them, I found the actual uni and their halls to be very harsh in their terms of contract but my private landlords have been great.

Also be aware that when you transfer it generates a whole new student loan application. Last year I transfered in thr last week of September and the loan didnt come until December the 12th. I then had to suspend due to debt and restart thid year, thats despitd SFE saying "yeah go to plymouth, there will be a two week delay but youll get the money"

So check everything twice is my only advice.

Did you have to suspend because the university wasn't paid, or because maintenance needs added up?
Reply 5
Original post by MrOneTwo
Did you have to suspend because the university wasn't paid, or because maintenance needs added up?

I had to suspend because they promised the money in October and then November and it didnt come, so my landlord got pissed and added late charges, I borrowed money from Smartpig (for students by students!) Who i thought would be understanding but they sold my debt to a collection company in October after the loan didnt materialise again, so I just had too much debt to pay, I had to go back to work.

Its a **** situation to be in though, you can't claim benefits if you suspend as you are technically a student and obviously you dont get student loan either.
Reply 6
Original post by r4dly
I had to suspend because they promised the money in October and then November and it didnt come, so my landlord got pissed and added late charges, I borrowed money from Smartpig (for students by students!) Who i thought would be understanding but they sold my debt to a collection company in October after the loan didnt materialise again, so I just had too much debt to pay, I had to go back to work.

Its a **** situation to be in though, you can't claim benefits if you suspend as you are technically a student and obviously you dont get student loan either.

The other option is to withdraw from your studies which means you can claim benefits but you owe the uni 25% tuition fee, which is about £2000, and then you cant stay in student accomodation as (in plymouth) they only give a 25% discount on council tax if a non student lives in a student property..75% of the tax on a 13 bed student house is horrific so once SFE **** you over your options are severly limited, debt is the only outcome!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by r4dly
The other option is to withdraw from your studies which means you can claim benefits but you owe the uni 25% tuition fee, which is about £2000, and then you cant stay in student accomodation as (in plymouth) they only give a 25% discount on council tax if a non student lives in a student property..75% of the tax on a 13 bed student house is horrific so once SFE **** you over your options are severly limited, debt is the only outcome!

this won't work - they will still expect you to pay the rent even if you can't live in the property, you signed up for a year so they will make you pay for a year

OP you can ask your housing company/landlord as if they have a waiting list they may be happy for you to leave your contract but the chances are they will still insist you pay the full year's rent unless you find a replacement tenant which is never easy, there is no special circumstances just because you want to leave the uni
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
this won't work - they will still expect you to pay the rent even if you can't live in the property, you signed up for a year so they will make you pay for a year

OP you can ask your housing company/landlord as if they have a waiting list they may be happy for you to leave your contract but the chances are they will still insist you pay the full year's rent unless you find a replacement tenant which is never easy, there is no special circumstances just because you want to leave the uni

I dont think you followed the convo and anyway thats not true, some landlords are very accomodating. It depends entirly on the landlord, if you are in halls though the university are much harsher than private.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by r4dly
I dont think you followed the convo and anyway thats not true, some landlords are very accomodating. It depends entirly on the landlord, if you are in halls though the university are much harsher than private.

some are but OP should be prepared that their landlord won't be... the number of threads every year on here from people who thought they would be able to leave their accommodation and have ended up with thousands of pounds being demanded from them that they can't pay is testament to the fact it's a real problem

Quick Reply

Latest