The Student Room Group

does this sound like a stupid plan?

so i failed my first year at uni, then failed 1 module on the resit year, so now i am no longer able to get a hons degree only an ordinary one which from what i have read is not very useful

since my family are very strict and i will probably be homeless if i drop out what i am thinking to do is go for the year, dont worry about passing or anything, take the loans they give me and save them, also find a job or apprenticeship in accounting, and save there and then after i fail the year and have no choice but to leave, just leave and then move out with the money i have saved? and then go a different route into accounting.

the reason for going to uni in this time is because its easier to get a job/apprenticeship if you are a student studying the subject at university?

the highest qualification away from this that i have is aat level 3 which is not very uselful
Reply 1
did i put this in the wrong section? is this against the rules? just plain stupid? pls
You sound clueless. Go and talk to an advisor in the SU about the implications of failing one modile. You mau be able to resit or retake to bump back to an honours degree. In most cases whether a degree has hons or not doesnt matter.

As for your plan it sounds pretty mental. The maintenance isnt that much and you will still have to pay that plus the fees back. How much money do you think you will be saving? The uni will still take the £9000 fees. Will you be eraning enough doing an apprenticeship? Seems like a crazy plan.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
You sound clueless. Go and talk to an advisor in the SU about the implications of failing one modile. You mau be able to resit or retake to bump back to an honours degree. In most cases whether a degree has hons or not doesnt matter.

As for your plan it sounds pretty mental. The maintenance isnt that much and you will still have to pay that plus the fees back. How much money do you think you will be saving? The uni will still take the £9000 fees. Will you be eraning enough doing an apprenticeship? Seems like a crazy plan.

its a 6000 uni but im really not bothered with that, i will only have to pay back when earning 21000+, i can save 3000 plus anything from job/apprenticeship and then when my dad tells me to get lost from his house for not passing uni I have something to fall on
Original post by pkrange
its a 6000 uni but im really not bothered with that, i will only have to pay back when earning 21000+, i can save 3000 plus anything from job/apprenticeship and then when my dad tells me to get lost from his house for not passing uni I have something to fall on

Im unfamilat but I thought fees went straight to the uni and not into your account?
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Im unfamilat but I thought fees went straight to the uni and not into your account?

maintenance loan and grant, not uni fees
this is an awful idea. Either bite the bullet and drop out to face the music or continue on.

I got a degree and had all my funding a crap degree 2:1 but from crap uni, I want to go back to university now but will have to fund it myself.

the only thing worse then that is not only losing the funding in the future but not even having any form of a degree. you take on £9000 of extra debt (which yes you dont pay back unless you earn over a certain amount but you want to earn min wage?) and you lose that funding if you ever want to put things right and do a degree in the future now you need to find £9000 in extra in hard cash?

terrible idea.

Why did you fail?
Reply 7
different mental illnesses, bullying, and suicidal thoughts which the student support and my gp are aware of
Reply 8
Original post by Luke7456
this is an awful idea. Either bite the bullet and drop out to face the music or continue on.

I got a degree and had all my funding a crap degree 2:1 but from crap uni, I want to go back to university now but will have to fund it myself.

the only thing worse then that is not only losing the funding in the future but not even having any form of a degree. you take on £9000 of extra debt (which yes you dont pay back unless you earn over a certain amount but you want to earn min wage?) and you lose that funding if you ever want to put things right and do a degree in the future now you need to find £9000 in extra in hard cash?

terrible idea.

Why did you fail?

also im already inelegible for funding, if i want to do anything else i have to pay for the first year
Original post by pkrange
also im already inelegible for funding, if i want to do anything else i have to pay for the first year

it used to be you got four years of funding or up to. I don't know if thats changed but what a great plan so now If i have to pay for the first year with straight up cash lets put an even bigger obstacle in a way and make that 2 years.

why ruin your future options your likely to seriously regret this later in life.
Reply 10
it used to be you got four years of funding or up to. I don't know if thats changed but what a great plan so now If i have to pay for the first year with straight up cash lets put an even bigger obstacle in a way and make that 2 years.

why ruin your future options your likely to seriously regret this later in life.

lol you think someone like me will ever see 9k cash in his life? let alone be able to give it away to fund education he is incapable of completing?
Original post by pkrange
lol you think someone like me will ever see 9k cash in his life? let alone be able to give it away to fund education he is incapable of completing?

Yeah nice one mate, I know this isn't going to make me that popular but I am in a position to say stuff that others cant say so you can pull that one off on me.

<<<<<Autistic + anxiety disorder

your not incapable of achieving it your just not motivated to. you want to say you have a disability and throw yourself on the floor you will get lots of sympathy when you end up been bullied working in a min wage job where your colleagues will make fun of you and bully you proper. That is if your lucky, because you could end up been the "special one" and just in case you don't get what i mean I do not mean like Mourinho.
I mean like the special one no one wants to be.

You can play the mitigation card and the sympathy disability card but in the end the only one you will hurt is yourself.

I have made the same sort of stupid mistakes you have and now I really have to push against the grain to put it right. I have one advantage you don't though. I have well off parents so can live at home rent free whilst working full time to get the funds to put things right. I wouldn't call myself Privileged in grade sense though, because not only do I not get private school I don't have a teacher at all I have to self teach myself everything.

You can be in that situation too but without the easier rent situation and basically then your really up against it. Your capable of achieving and having a decent life but you risk blowing it up due to been immature.

others have to be politically correct because they can get in trouble for not been etc. I have no situation and i wish when i messed up there was someone kind enough to be blunt there was one tutor who actually was but it was a lone voice in the dark.

I'm been cruel to be kind. See me as the enemy now but you will regret it later.

I am not saying do pursue the degree or dont. I am saying either this is the right degree for you in which case work hard and make the most of it or it is not in which case save the funding whilst you can so you can do something more suited to yourself later.

but your plan just keeps you pinned down for the future, and makes everything harder.

its a stupid idea a really bad one.
Reply 12
Yeah nice one mate, I know this isn't going to make me that popular but I am in a position to say stuff that others cant say so you can pull that one off on me.

<<<<<Autistic + anxiety disorder

your not incapable of achieving it your just not motivated to. you want to say you have a disability and throw yourself on the floor you will get lots of sympathy when you end up been bullied working in a min wage job where your colleagues will make fun of you and bully you proper. That is if your lucky, because you could end up been the "special one" and just in case you don't get what i mean I do not mean like Mourinho.
I mean like the special one no one wants to be.

You can play the mitigation card and the sympathy disability card but in the end the only one you will hurt is yourself.

I have made the same sort of stupid mistakes you have and now I really have to push against the grain to put it right. I have one advantage you don't though. I have well off parents so can live at home rent free whilst working full time to get the funds to put things right. I wouldn't call myself Privileged in grade sense though, because not only do I not get private school I don't have a teacher at all I have to self teach myself everything.

You can be in that situation too but without the easier rent situation and basically then your really up against it. Your capable of achieving and having a decent life but you risk blowing it up due to been immature.

others have to be politically correct because they can get in trouble for not been etc. I have no situation and i wish when i messed up there was someone kind enough to be blunt there was one tutor who actually was but it was a lone voice in the dark.

I'm been cruel to be kind. See me as the enemy now but you will regret it later.

I am not saying do pursue the degree or dont. I am saying either this is the right degree for you in which case work hard and make the most of it or it is not in which case save the funding whilst you can so you can do something more suited to yourself later.

but your plan just keeps you pinned down for the future, and makes everything harder.

its a stupid idea a really bad one.

ok so if you was me you would rather be homeless, signing on tomorow, than do this?
Original post by pkrange
ok so if you was me you would rather be homeless, signing on tomorow, than do this?

I would speak to the university about my situation and how I feel to see what advice/support they could give. I would think long and hard about what course I was on if this is what I want to do and or what I want in life and if this is a quality course etc. I would then decide if I want to stick it out or drop out so I can pursue a more worthy degree at a later stage.

If the former I would put my head down learn from the previous failure and work very hard to make sure I still came out with a strong degree. if I decided to drop out I would look for full time work keep accommodation if that is an option if not move out into a hostel for short term or rented accommodation and then think long and hard about what I want in life and how to get it.

I would also recommend growing a pair and speaking with your family. explain why you don't think the course is for you what your change of plans are and how you are going to go about putting it right. if they wont listen then tough i guess, but your better off making clear precise decisions now rather then screwing up your future.
Reply 14
I would speak to the university about my situation and how I feel to see what advice/support they could give. I would think long and hard about what course I was on if this is what I want to do and or what I want in life and if this is a quality course etc. I would then decide if I want to stick it out or drop out so I can pursue a more worthy degree at a later stage.

If the former I would put my head down learn from the previous failure and work very hard to make sure I still came out with a strong degree. if I decided to drop out I would look for full time work keep accommodation if that is an option if not move out into a hostel for short term or rented accommodation and then think long and hard about what I want in life and how to get it.

I would also recommend growing a pair and speaking with your family. explain why you don't think the course is for you what your change of plans are and how you are going to go about putting it right. if they wont listen then tough i guess, but your better off making clear precise decisions now rather then screwing up your future.

thank you this is exactly what i was looking for you really opened my mind, thanks, and i just got a confidence boost for some reason, im just gonna drop out and try and get onto an apprenticeship
thanks
Original post by pkrange
thank you this is exactly what i was looking for you really opened my mind, thanks, and i just got a confidence boost for some reason, im just gonna drop out and try and get onto an apprenticeship
thanks

Okay that may be the best option for you it may not. I would talk with more people and get advice. However at least you sound like your thinking more rationally now so that is better.

the only thing I would say now is you seem very impulsive, Just this is a big decision so try make sure you have thought really hard about this and are confident in making the right decision rather then rushing into anything.

all the best whatever you decide.
And if you have proof that health issues forced you to leave uni/change course/fail a year I know you can apply to be funded for extra years through the compelling personal reasons route which may be worth looking at. Maybe this is a time to decide if accountancy is really what you want to do. This is your choice, not your family's and you need to do what is right for you
Reply 17
accounting is my choice, i love it, whereas people find it boring, the only evidence i have is speaking to my student support at uni for 2 years telling them what was happening, but i kept it hidden from everyone else. now i have evidence i am mentally ill as i went to the doctor this summer as i was feeling worse than ever, but i have no confidence they will accept this, and even if they do i dont know if its worth spending 3 more years, and more debt for potentially something i may never be able to achieve..
as for it being my choice and not my parents, yes i understand that, but its my parents choice if i can live at home, not mine. this makes me really scared and anxious
I think it's a good plan, pragmatic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending