Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Do Cambridge look at GCSEs for medicine applications??

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

I want to apply to medicine at Cambridge, but can someone tell me whether they score your GCSEs?
    I got 2A*s, 6As, and 2Bs. I know that these GCSEs are not nearly strong enough, but I went to a secondary school which was in special measures the year I sat my GCSEs.
    For college, I go to a better place, and I have gotten 4As at AS Level, so really, my crappy GCSEs are actually due to me going to one of the worst schools in my city.
    Will they still score my GCSEs, or will they just look at my ASs and my predicted grades??

Thank you

Also, if I apply to cambridge, apparently they want their personal statement in a certain format. This means that other universities apparently "recognise through the format of your personal statement that you've applied to Cambridge and automatically reject you".
    This is something I heard from a friend - her cousin apparently applied to 5 unis and cambridge was one of them and because the other unis knew that she had applied to cambridge they rejected her.

Does anyone know if this really happens?? I really want to apply to medicine at Cambridge, but I can't guarantee I'll get a place there so I'm worried if this means other unis will reject me??

Thanks again x

They do "look at" GCSEs but AFAIK they don't have such a rigid scoring system as places like Oxford, and they do look at contextual data, so your being at a poor school will be taken into account. It's only one small part of a much bigger picture, so it certainly wouldn't be a waste of time for you to apply.

The thing about wanting the PS in a certain format is rubbish. Just write a normal PS - you get an extra questionnaire (the SAQ) where you can write an additional Cambridge-specific PS if needed. Plenty of people apply to Cambridge and still get offers from other places, myself included, just look at the "Medics and Applicants Profiles" thread in this forum.

Hi there,
    if i'm an eu student and i haven't done gcse how would cambridge assess my application? i'm currently taking polish matura and i'm predicted 90% in advanced biology, chemistry and english, also maths and polish literature (basic level) 90%
    any advice?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.