The Student Room Group

Could I apply to UCL or Imperial medicine?

Further Maths - A
English Language - A*
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
French - B
Urdu - A
Physics - A*
ICT (DIDA) - A*
Business Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*
Religious Studies - A*

I am really worried, because my B is in a language- which UCL put a lot of emphasis on. Although, for A-levels I am doing Biology,chemistry,Maths and Economics and an EPQ for a level.

I am sorry, but I am genuinely worried.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I honestly doubt they'd care about the B since your other grades are very good, just make sure you work hard on your A levels, get necessary work experience, etc
Reply 2
:frown::frown::frown:
Original post by BULL14

No where does it say that you need an A in a language just a grade B or above in English Language and Mathematics. For Medicine,I seriously doubt they will even look at French.
Reply 4
Original post by cookiemunch12
No where does it say that you need an A in a language just a grade B or above in English Language and Mathematics. For Medicine,I seriously doubt they will even look at French.

so, do you reckon these grades will be fine. will they get me an interview?
Original post by BULL14
so, do you reckon these grades will be fine. will they get me an interview?

Your GCSEs are fantastic but GCSEs wont get you in on their own. Tbh they really dont matter. A Levels are really important and what most Unis look at the most along with the BMAT for UCL and UKCAT for most other Unis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Are my A-Levels right? Should I be doing three sciences?
Original post by BULL14
Are my A-Levels right? Should I be doing three sciences?

"We require three A-levels (which must be completed within two years). A-levels from recognised UK examination boards are the only
β€œadvanced levels” accepted. Chemistry and Biology must be studied at A-level. The third subject is the student’s own choice and can be any subject other than General Studies or Critical Thinking.Our standard conditional offer for 2017 entry will be grades A*AA to include Chemistry and Biology (with the A* grade being in either Chemistry or Biology)" quote from UCL's website, which means that your A level choices are fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
You will 100% get an offer provided you get above there bmat requirement and 4As at AS for imperial. The interview isnt as important because 90% of interview candidates are offered a place anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by Firestartc
You will 100% get an offer provided you get above there bmat requirement and 4As at AS for imperial. The interview snt as important because 90% of interview candidates are offered a place anyway.

We don't do as levels anymore
Reply 10
>>>>>>
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
How hard is chemistry? I am really struggling with it and have only had 7 lessons πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯
Reply 12
Any advice for chem?
Original post by BULL14

I went to imperial's opens day for medicine they told me they do not look at GCSE first they look at a-levels results especially A2.
The first thing they look at is BMAT score you must achieve a high BMAT score (700+ to definitely have a chance)
once you have a high BMAT score, they then look at A2 results which must be minimum AAA most (90%) of successful candidates have A*AA according to them.
Then they look at your personal statements you must have an amazing personal statements. They like it if you talk about work experience in hospitals, hospices or GPs.
Reply 14
Original post by PrincessBO$$
I went to imperial's opens day for medicine they told me they do not look at GCSE first they look at a-levels results especially A2.
The first thing they look at is BMAT score you must achieve a high BMAT score (700+ to definitely have a chance)
once you have a high BMAT score, they then look at A2 results which must be minimum AAA most (90%) of successful candidates have A*AA according to them.
Then they look at your personal statements you must have an amazing personal statements. They like it if you talk about work experience in hospitals, hospices or GPs.

cheers!!!
SO my 10A*s,3As and a B will be fine.? SO I won't be penalised for my gcses?
Original post by BULL14
cheers!!!
SO my 10A*s,3As and a B will be fine.? SO I won't be penalised for my gcses?

dude ofcourse not 10A* sounds amazing :h:
i have 1A* 5A 2B 3C according to your logic i have no chance :colonhash:
Reply 16
Original post by PrincessBO$$
dude ofcourse not 10A* sounds amazing :h:
i have 1A* 5A 2B 3C according to your logic i have no chance :colonhash:

Cheers. Why worry - when the third best uni in the country doesn't give the shi* about our GCSE?
Reply 17
which uni puts more emphasis on GCSEs _ UCL or Imperia?
Reply 18
😢😢😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BULL14
which uni puts more emphasis on GCSEs _ UCL or Imperia?

Imperial dont consider GCSEs anymore in the selection process. Have a look at the entry requirements for Medicine on their website. UCL still do.

Quick Reply

Latest