The Student Room Group

Choosing what medical school to apply to

Hi I would really appreciate some advise a I know that there are many people on here who have applied for medicine and have been successful.
I have a low UKCAT (620 SJT-band 1) and have good academics.

GCSE-6A*5A
As-AAAA
Predicted alevels-A*A*A* and A* EPQ
I also have a strong personal statement.

What unis would i realistically have a good shot at getting an interview at?

Thanks!
I'd look at unis like Cardiff, Exeter, Keele, possibly Bristol and/or Birmingham, and go with 1-2 BMAT unis (maybe Leeds or BSMS if you're not super confident, although you'd still need a decent score.) :smile: good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tangled23
Hi I would really appreciate some advise a I know that there are many people on here who have applied for medicine and have been successful.
I have a low UKCAT (620 SJT-band 1) and have good academics.

GCSE-6A*5A
As-AAAA
Predicted alevels-A*A*A* and A* EPQ
I also have a strong personal statement.

What unis would i realistically have a good shot at getting an interview at?

Thanks!

Don't apply to any GCSE heavy universities such as Cardiff (last year cut off was 26/27 on the points scoring which is the equivalent of 8A*s 1A- it could change and some people have got in with 6A*s but it would be more of a risk) and Oxford.
Personally with your results I think Exeter would be a good option as last year they interviewed most students with A*A*A* predictions, not sure on where they stand with the UKCAT though. I think it may be they make a comparison with other applicants but not 100% on that. I would also consider Bristol if you have a strong personal statement. A slightly riskier one would be Cambridge as if you're predicted 3A*s you must have good UMS but you will have to sit the BMAT for this and also be sitting two sciences and maths/three sciences. Other than that I would just recommend looking on individual university websites to see how they use the UKCAT. Your score is good so don't let that put you off and your GCSEs and predicted A Levels definitely won't hold you back, but just make sure you check. Choosing one, two maximum, BMAT universities such as UCL or Imperial would also be a good idea.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hello, I'm a recent biology graduate hoping to apply to 5 year courses. Would be great if anyone could make some suggestions as to which schools would be best to apply to with the following:
-2:1 Biology degree from Russel Group Uni.
-ABB at A Level (Bio, Chemistry and English Lit).
-Spent a year working at my university's medical library where I was also a first aid officer.
-Spent some time abroad volunteering as a teacher.
-Volunteered on and off for the last few years at my local nursing home.
-Sitting the UKCAT next week (Was studying for another exam so had to leave it late) but hoping to get at least an average score.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!
Reply 4
Original post by emem2011
Don't apply to any GCSE heavy universities such as Cardiff (last year cut off was 26/27 on the points scoring which is the equivalent of 8A*s 1A- it could change and some people have got in with 6A*s but it would be more of a risk) and Oxford.
Personally with your results I think Exeter would be a good option as last year they interviewed most students with A*A*A* predictions, not sure on where they stand with the UKCAT though. I think it may be they make a comparison with other applicants but not 100% on that. I would also consider Bristol if you have a strong personal statement. A slightly riskier one would be Cambridge as if you're predicted 3A*s you must have good UMS but you will have to sit the BMAT for this and also be sitting two sciences and maths/three sciences. Other than that I would just recommend looking on individual university websites to see how they use the UKCAT. Your score is good so don't let that put you off and your GCSEs and predicted A Levels definitely won't hold you back, but just make sure you check. Choosing one, two maximum, BMAT universities such as UCL or Imperial would also be a good idea.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thanks for a very detailed reply! I was considering exeter as a result of my predictions but I am very unsure on how they use the UKCAT. They do place predictions into tiers however I think if a tier is oversubscribed I.e . 200 applicants fall into tier 1 yet only 100 interviews can be given UKCAT is looked at. Imperial is also an option as i prefer unis that have a BMAT cutoff rather than rank as who knows where you stand!

Cambridge is far too competitive! Yes i have 90+ UMS in my as subjects ( maths,bio,chem and philosophy ) but I feel it would be a wasted application!
Thank you again for the response. I know it can be annoying when every other person is making a similar post! x
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by StationToStation
I'd look at unis like Cardiff, Exeter, Keele, possibly Bristol and/or Birmingham, and go with 1-2 BMAT unis (maybe Leeds or BSMS if you're not super confident, although you'd still need a decent score.) :smile: good luck!

Hi thanks for your response! I was considering exeter and keele! Is Birmingham not Ukcat heavy? x
Can anyone please advise. With my stats would Barts be better to get into or Birmingham or any other suggestions? I was thinking of applying into Barts but I'm worried about my low ucas points(206 If I do EPQ)
GCSE 8 A* 3A
A2 predictions AAA*
UKCAT 730
Original post by liverpool7867
Can anyone please advise. With my stats would Barts be better to get into or Birmingham or any other suggestions? I was thinking of applying into Barts but I'm worried about my low ucas points(206 If I do EPQ)
GCSE 8 A* 3A
A2 predictions AAA*
UKCAT 730

You're really good for both. Barts don't consider UCAS points IIRC, so you'd be fine there. Simply put, just pick which one you like more, though you also have to consider meeting an A*AA offer, should you decide to apply to Birmingham.
Thanks for your reply. Barts are still using ucas tariff( 50:50) with ukcat.

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending