The Student Room Group

Catch 22

Hi
I hope the job hunt is going well for all those who want employment this summer. I've been looking for a job ever since I finished my exams in June. I think I must have applied for at least 50 jobs. The main problem seems to be that I have no experience, but I am unable to get experience unless I get a job. I would prefer to work in administration or IT. I don't like shop work, but may need to do it if I don't find anything else soon. Any job seeking tips would be great. I'm concerned that the summer will have gone and I will not have found anything. I could work permenantly in the evenings or at weekends, but not full time as I am hoping to go to University in Sept - hopefully.

Thanks again for any advice.
Reply 1
Try some voluntary work. I work in a CAB one day a week. Gives me some admin stuff to put on the CV and its only a few hours per week, so I can get a job around it.

Try temping agencies if you fancy that, but bear in mind there are lots of more qualified students on vacation right now, so you may be somewhat down the bottom of the list. That's what I've found.

What kind of feedback have you been getting from the ones you have applied for?
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. A few years ago, I spent a number of years doing voluntary charity fundraising. The main issue seems to be a lack of experience as I have worked hard for the grades that I have obtained. The problem seems to be that there are far more experienced applicants. Obviously, the situation would probably be different if I had a degree and was looking for a graduate job with limited experience as I would have a good academic qualifciation - but I've not got that far - yet hopefully. I'm hoping to go to University in Sept, so hopefully I'll achieve the required grades.

Thanks again for your support
Reply 3
try do-it.org.uk for local volunteering oppurtunities of all sorts. It might be the only way to get uot of the catch 22 :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending