Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Clinical depression in college

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I'm doing law in university. First year. This is supposed to be a pretty demanding course.

    I've been clinically depressed for about 2 years. I'm an international student. I've been seeing a psychiatrist for about a year now in my home country. I've been on medication for a year. I honestly thought I was getting better and maybe even cured. My psychiatrist was planning on decreasing the dosage and gradually weaning me off the meds. However, ever since I've been at uni, I have been depressed again. I can feel the sickly ****ing disease again. At first I thought I was just homesick maybe. Just miss my family. Everyone has the occasional blues. But I've been like this for 2 weeks. I haven't talked to anyone about this yet. The thing though is that so far, my studies have been going brilliantly.

    Any pointers on what I should do? Did I make a big mistake going to uni in a foreign land?

    It's normal for mental health problems to flare when you're in a new environment and things are changing... try and talk to university counselling services, disability services and your GP and get some support in place to help you cope.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.