The Student Room Group

How come a woman's looks seem to be talked about more than her achievements.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IronicalMan
And the womens income/resource to men is attractiveness and whether they can bring something, eg children, cook etc.

Anyone can cook! No idea what I'd bring, I never want to go through pregnancy and will always want to spend most evenings running/fitness training, even till I'm 80 lol.
Original post by indigofox
Anyone can cook! No idea what I'd bring, I never want to go through pregnancy and will always want to spend most evenings running/fitness training, even till I'm 80 lol.

Well I am not talking about you, not anyone can cook, lots of older men can't for example, or rather, including me, don't want to cook after being at work...
Women for example, look for men who earn more money/ have a higher status.
Men look for other things, and one is looks instead of success or money, after all they can get their own money and are mostly fine with marrying someone with less money than them.
Reply 22
I disagree. People should be able to support themselves, I've always been raised with that mindset and an unemployed man with a low status and little money can be just as attractive as the opposite. However, I can think of a few books/films that show desire for rich men with a high status.
Reply 23
Well I am not talking about you, not anyone can cook, lots of older men can't for example, or rather, including me, don't want to cook after being at work...
Women for example, look for men who earn more money/ have a higher status.
Men look for other things, and one is looks instead of success or money, after all they can get their own money and are mostly fine with marrying someone with less money than them.

Same for women they just want to chill/go to yoga or whatever after work, this is probably where takeaways became popular. Women can get their own money too, though I'm aware before Victorian era it was difficult/never used to be the case.
How come whatever a female achieves she is still, in general, judged on how she looks. I see it with female athletes in sport but not really with men. I remember when that woman broke a record for sailing a few years ago and many comments just stated how ugly she was. I was just reading this about astronomy and although there arn't many comments most of them are about the astronauts looks lol

There are many examples of male athletes being judged on how they look.

David Beckham
Cristiano Ronaldo
Aaron Ramsey
Cesc Fabregas
Gerrard Pique
Sergio Ramos
Rafael Nadal
Tom Daley

All of these are widely considered to be sex symbols. And male athletes are not always judged for how good they look either.

Luke Chadwick
Wayne Rooney
Diego Costa
Jay Spearing
Ricky Hatton
Ronaldinho
Ruud van Nistelrooy

Wayne Rooney in particular has had it quite badly throughout his entire career and Chadwick is probably more known for being the ugliest footballer ever rather than anything he did on the pitch.

Edit: I forgot Carlos Tevez, Franck Ribery and Joleon Lescott.
(edited 7 years ago)
Same for women they just want to chill/go to yoga or whatever after work, this is probably where takeaways became popular. Women can get their own money too, though I'm aware before Victorian era it was difficult/never used to be the case.

That's a new thing though, so when a man looks for a wife... Someone that will cook most of the time is a good trait.
Reply 26
Original post by Wilfred Little
There are many examples of male athletes being judged on how they look.

David Beckham
Cristiano Ronaldo
Aaron Ramsey
Cesc Fabregas
Gerrard Pique
Sergio Ramos
Rafael Nadal
Tom Daley

All of these are widely considered to be sex symbols. And male athletes are not always judged for how good they look either.

Luke Chadwick
Wayne Rooney
Diego Costa
Jay Spearing
Ricky Hatton
Ronaldinho
Ruud van Nistelrooy

Wayne Rooney in particular has had it quite badly throughout his entire career and Chadwick is probably more known for being the ugliest footballer ever rather than anything he did on the pitch.

Fair point, thanks. Yea I remember Rooney being called shrek!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
That's a new thing though, so when a man looks for a wife... Someone that will cook most of the time is a good trait.

Sure if one partner isn't working it's generally expected they will do more household chores and cooking than the worker.
Reply 28

What if the woman works and the man doesn't? Would the man be expected to cook? (Why do people assume women cook all the time???)
Original post by Emilyhp
What if the woman works and the man doesn't? Would the man be expected to cook? (Why do people assume women cook all the time???)

Well I am pretty sure, that one, most women wouldn't get with a man that doesn't work and two, that men usually work longer... From a personal viewpoint and of someone that would work, that's one of the traits I would look for in a wife. I didn't say cook all the time and I don't assume they cook all the time.
But that's one thing men look for, for example, over wealth/income/achievements.
What you have to think of, is what people can bring to a relationship
Sure if one partner isn't working it's generally expected they will do more household chores and cooking than the worker.

yah... pretty sure most men work though and I'm fairly sure most women wouldn't go near an unemployed man so.
Reply 31
There is nothing wrong with someone who is unemployed! So you're saying a man wouldn't want to be with an unemployed woman then?
Reply 32
Original post by Emilyhp
There is nothing wrong with someone who is unemployed! So you're saying a man wouldn't want to be with an unemployed woman then?

I think he's saying that men don't care that much if a woman is unemployed or not, it's all about looks and cooking :tongue:
Reply 33
I think he's saying that men don't care that much if a woman is unemployed or not, it's all about looks and cooking :tongue:

Yeah, because what's a man without a job and a woman without an oven??? It's backward thinking and it infuriates me that people still think this way!
Reply 34
Original post by Emilyhp
Yeah, because what's a man without a job and a woman without an oven??? It's backward thinking and it infuriates me that people still think this way!

I know it annoys me too not just from a female perspective but also the expectation that men should be good at sport and 'man up' etc. People are individuals at the end of the day not machines that conform to gender roles.
Original post by Emilyhp

Dunno why you're getting annoyed, I am talking in general and saying some things I look for in a women....
I wouldn't say I am looking for a women for a career as I would have one... so.

Not all, but men don't usually care about their partner earning less than them, neither would I. Attractive traits to bring to a relationship aren't really things you can do/will do anyway. Get me ?
Reply 37
What if their partner earnt more than them? Would he be bothered then? And - just to be clear - you don't see men and women as equals? Men are starting to be looked at judgmentally, but women have been for years!
Original post by Emilyhp
What if their partner earnt more than them? Would he be bothered then? And - just to be clear - you don't see men and women as equals? Men are starting to be looked at judgmentally, but women have been for years!

I don't view them as the same no, more complimentary.
Chances are their partner won't earn more than them. As I say I am talking generally.
Men are looked at judgmentally, eg if fat or something, or ugly, or short.
Or poor.... Ya know. Everyone is judgmental somewhat at least so I have really no idea why you're getting upset or arguing with me, when I am talking about the sexes in general.
Reply 39
You're talking about what you think about sexes in general. You can't complimentary look at inequality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending