Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How do I choose which UoA (FPAS) to apply to?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

Hi there,

This feels a little out of place with all the questions about medical schools, but I'm finding it quite difficult to figure out how to rank UoAs, especially since I've never been to most of the places! What sort of things should I be looking into or considering? Help please?

It feels out of place because most current medical students put their questions in the current medical students section

Anyway, there really is no 'should' with this type of question. Different people have different priorities, and you need to spend some time thinking about what is important to you

I have 3 things that I care about:

1) I want to be by the sea

2) I do NOT want to live in a big city

3) I want to do A&E and GP for F2

So I went through all the foundation school websites and looked at the different hospitals within that deanery, and what type of towns they were in (mostly looking at size and proximity to sea, and considering anything I may have heard about them from other people). Then I looked at the documents listing all the jobs within that deanery (available on most of the foundation school websites), and judged roughly what proportion of the jobs were in desirable towns. Finally I looked at how many rotations there were that offered A&E and GP for F2 (luckily for me that's a pretty common combination in almost every deanery, but I wanted to check)

I guess I created a sort of algorithm because I was finding it hard to decide how to rank places that I'd never been to, or never had any particular interest in. Just remember that the biggest factor that will end up affecting your foundation experience is the support and culture of the teams you end up placed in, which is completely impossible to predict. So your choices are pretty much arbitrary and not really worth worrying about too much. At least that's what I tell myself
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.