Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Applying to medicine

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

With these GCSE grades would I stand a good chance of getting into Oxford to study Medicine, for now ignoring other factors like BMAT scores and personal statements etc.. because I know Oxford place a great emphasis on GCSE results and even said on the open day 50% of shortlisting is based on GCSE.

English language - A
    English literature - A*
    Maths - A*
    Statistics - A*
    Core science - A*
    Additional science - A*
    Further add. science - A*
    History - A*
    French - A*
    RE - A*
    PE - C
    Art - C

In total this is 9 A*s, 1 A (which i want to get remarked to an A*) and 2 Cs. A lot o can't people I spoke to on the open day told me this is below average and that a lot of people get 10+, so I don't know if ive done well enough. I know GCSEs alone aren't a deciding factor but their importance in your application is vastand i want to maximise my chances wherever possible. Anyone know what I should do in my position ?

Not too good for medicine

(Original post by Cruxell)
    Not too good for medicine
    What if I go to this up to 10 a*s?

The pA* is the more worrying stat. If you can get that A remarked and get an A* it could make all the difference.

Your GCSEs are fine for any other med school

I think these results would be ideal for studying medicine at Oxford, there are people who had 7 A* and they managed to study Medicine at Oxford- so I don't think Oxford will be narrow minded and just look at your GCSE results. Personally, I think that GCSE results will be one of the core factors which contributes to your place, however, I feel that the interview and your personal statement will have a much bigger impact on your place there because you are able to fully express yourself and your passion for medicine directly in written and oral form. So don't worry!! What you have achieved is brilliant and getting that A remarked would boost your profile, but it is not going to be the only deciding factor. I want to study Medicine too at a Russel Group university, preferably Oxford or Cambridge
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.