Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How do I get my school to enter me for an exam I don't currently study?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Basically I dropped a GCSE and I go to a different school once a week to do occupational studies and I want to drop that as well but I really do not want to have two GCSEs missing so I was thinking of doing a course that requires no coursework such as Religious Studies.

I have asked the school this and they have said no as legally I need a teacher to teach me the subject and there are none available because they all have classes to teach which is fine because I completely understand but as long as they supply me with the suitable work and revision material, I will do this at home corresponding to the specification.

I have thought about asking another school to enter me for an exam but I really do not want to pay like £70 just for that when my own school can do it for me for free but are being stubborn and won't do it because I'm not being taught the course by a teacher and they say that's a legal requirement but I don't think it is, there's nothing to say you have to be taught before you can sit an exam in that subject, obviously it would be ideal that you are taught but I am sure it can be done if I stick at it.

Can I ask for my school's exams officer to enter me for an exam? I already do entry level Religious Studies but I'm not sure how that works because surely it's recognised as a different qualification so it wouldn't affect me doing GCSE RE? Thanks.

They can't deny you if you're willing to pay- they may have meant that they can't enter you for free if a teacher hasn't taught you, which actually does make sense because they fear that you may not have been taught properly if someone at school hasn't taught you so would not want to pay that money for you to take the exams. But if you tell them you'll pay they should be able to arrange a place for you, ask your exams officer about that

Unless they've recently changed the law then the legal argument they've used is nonsense. I took a GCSE without having lessons in it..

Utter rubbish. The school can enter you for any exam as long as they are approved by the particular exam board. If that qualification has a coursework element they may be unwilling/unable to mark the coursework and so may not enter you for this reason. If it is exam only there is no reason not to enter you, however they CAN refuse. They are not legally obliged to enter you just because you want to do a particular exam - that said there is no real reason for them not to - especially if you are willing to pay.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.