The Student Room Group

How will I fair applying to Uni?

I am in Year 13 and have to decide on which Universities to apply to in the next few weeks. This is what I have achieved so far:

GCSE:
Maths A*, Physics A, Chemistry A, French A, Biology B, Computing B, English Lang B, English Lit B, BTEC Engineering Merit, RE D

AS Level:
AS Maths A (C1 96UMS, C2 100UMS, S1 100UMS)
A2 Maths A* (C3 95UMS, C4 100UMS, M1 94UMS)
AS Further Maths A (FP1 92UMS, D1 100UMS, NM 90UMS) (We are on MEI)
AS Physics A (Don't know UMS but teacher thinking it would have been near enough 100UMS)

University Choices (All for the G100):
Cambridge
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Loughborough

Am I aiming too high? Can I get opinions on the likelihood of me getting into these universities? Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Fugro123
I am in Year 13 and have to decide on which Universities to apply to in the next few weeks. This is what I have achieved so far:

GCSE:
Maths A*, Physics A, Chemistry A, French A, Biology B, Computing B, English Lang B, English Lit B, BTEC Engineering Merit, RE D

AS Level:
AS Physics A (Don't know UMS but teacher thinking it would have been near enough 100UMS)

Cambridge
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Loughborough

Am I aiming too high? Can I get opinions on the likelihood of me getting into these universities? Thanks in advance!

Your choices seem ok, as long as you genuinely like the course and uni for each and you're not just seduced by the name. However, be aware that there are no guarantees and you could end up getting several rejections. You need to know you're the kind of person who can cope with being unsuccessful. You don't want to appl to such risky choices if you'll end up devastated.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Your choices seem ok, as long as you genuinely like the course and uni for each and you're not just seduced by the name. However, be aware that there are no guarantees and you could end up getting several rejections. You need to know you're the kind of person who can cope with being unsuccessful. You don't want to appl to such risky choices if you'll end up devastated.

Thank you! I think that's fair enough! I do a lot of running so loughbourough suits me there as well! I have a huge passion for mathematics and teach myself a lot of the maths I study and read up a fair amount on the subject! Hopefully all will go well though
Depends how you feel about STEP. If you're not confident you can get what you need (2 for Bath, 1 for Warwick, S for Cambridge) then scrap the ones that ask for STEP and choose three others.

Your GCSE's might mean a no from Cambridge but you'll certainly get offers from the other four.
Original post by Fugro123

GCSE:

AS Level:

Cambridge
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Loughborough

Almost ever Cam applicant gets an interview - I suspect you'll get offers from the other 4 (maybe not Durham as their giving out offers process is the strict part) and depending on that interview, maybe an offer from Cam - but like above said you'll have to work quite hard in STEP for 3/5 of those.

Quick Reply

Latest