The Student Room Group

Worried about my university + career (a lot of problems)

I am really worried about my university applications.

To cut a long story short, during the past 2 years doing A-levels we didnt get much help due to lack of teachers, supply teachers, lack of teaching materials etc. We all really suffered. I was predicted AAB then results came down to BBC the teachers said I could get ABC , but chances were BBC. Now I had changed my mind several times for example I decided to take a gap year for a while, then changed my mind to go to the Open University, then speaking to employers my mind changed again to go to a university, hence i didnt respond to any of my ucas choices due to confusion, now that I want to go to university like UCL, or Kings , soas, royal holloway mainly the good ones im worried i wont get in.
I was on the verge of not attending my exams and literally giving up but I gave my exams a go without revision.
Now im super worried I wont get in, I emailed all universities, LSE was very stingy so obviosly no. UCL was sympathetic so it might be 50/50 chance but SOAS have said places are limited, therefore try clearing. Kings I emailed yesterday so waiting for them.
I just wanted to do a Business related degree, however most unis said they are quite popular and are taken so places are very very limited.
Therefore I asked UCL whether I could do Project Managment with construction or Architecture, so I am waiting a response from them. However im really really worried by doing either of those degrees I might not get far in life. I know I would enjoy Architecture a lot as well! But im worried what if I dont get into the business world and the background of it due to this degree. I did want to do Human Resources but obviously I would prefer to do a degree like Business Managment which would cover all aspects. However my question is if UCL did offer me to do Architecture and I accepted it , and did a masters in like Managment or do something Accounting, would it be useful?

Would I get far in life? I want to also earn good money and currently am working for a tax company but im worried chances would be slim and I wont be succesful. I really am ambitious and this breaking my heart because I want to go as far and high up the ladder as possible!

Help :confused:
A project management with construction or architecture degree obviously won't help you much with business, but it would give you another route to follow if you changed your mind and a business degree would be far from a guarantee of a good job. A degree in something irrelevant to your future career is still better than no degree at all, so if you can't get into a business degree anywhere you like and you'd enjoy the other degree, that followed by a Masters in something more relevant would be an appropriate route. Or you could always take a gap year, resit your A-levels and reapply for business if you've got your heart set on that.
Reply 2
I did think of re-sitting etc, however I dont want waste another year, that sounds really weird but I just dont want to.
I was advised by many others if I did choose to do a degree , do anything I wanted, however when it came to my Masters I could do something really good like Accounting or Business so thats another thing I could consider.
However my future is really worrying me I am at great loss, I just have nobody to talk to inregards to this other than TSR.
Reply 3
Do a degree in whatever you feel you'll enjoy the most. After that, if you decide you still want to get into the world of business, than take a Masters course in something relevant to that.
Regarding arch at UCL I would urge you not to do it unless you are 110% committed to architecture or design. (To be honest, it does not sound like you are) I know people who study at the Bartlet: it is a very very tough course which requires a great deal of creativity. It is not simply about different materials used for buildings etc and then building models of houses. Although it is only hearsay, I am told that a considerable number of people drop out or fail one or more years of the degree. If UCL does offer you this course (which would surprise me, as I think its also pretty popular) think about whether you are willing to give 7 years of your life to study something which you do not appear to have a great interest in. I know I sound really really harsh, I don't mean to, but my friend on this course (and many of her friends) have found it very demanding and often extremely difficult, and I felt I should tell you.
Reply 5
Try and get into a degree you enjoy. To be honest it looks like you are more concerned about being successful with money and having a high-flying career than just ding a business degree and you are assuming that business will get you that. If it really is the case, I suggest you look through other courses that have very good job opportunities but interests you. If you do end up doing bad and don't want to lose out a year, then apply for a lower tier university and then work damn hard and then get transferred to a much better one. I know quite a few people who have done that. Or you could choose some degree related with business like economics etc and see if they have lower requirements.

A lot of people think that going to the mentioned london institutions will get you the best jobs in the country but let me tell you that there are pplenty of other fabulous institutions outside of london and oxbridge whose degrees are immensely valued and they might let you in with, lower grades. Don't think that just going to the likes of those institution will immediately give you all the success you desire. So much success takes time and patience and you have to work your way up from the bottom. So don't be disheartened if for whatever reason you don't get in to the universities you mentioned. Its not the be all and end all of every thing. :smile:
Reply 6
what did u say to the universities?
Reply 7
Just to let you know, UCL (The Barlett) is very oversubscribed and your chances of getting into that course are slim unless you have a very good portfolio.

Think seriously before applying to an architecture course, because you need to be 100% committed to it. The workload is immense, and you could find yourself dropping out of the course if you don't have the same passion for the course as other architecture students do. There is a reason why it takes 7+ years to become a fully qualified, registered architect.
Reply 8
I don't think you and UCL are on the same page :s-smilie:

It's far from an unpopular course as others have said.

Latest

Trending

Trending