Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Corbyn's Momentum planned to recruit radical Muslims to help deselect Jewish MP

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Momentum members planned to recruit radical Muslims to help deselect a Jewish MP. There is some summary reporting in the Daily Mail but I suggest you go and read the full investigation document at Scribd.

One of the lead Momentum activists at this Liverpool branch also planned to use a procedural motion and vote to prevent an investigation into anti-semitism in the branch proceeding. In respect of the MP proposed to be deselected, Louse Ellman, this lead activist expressly identified the fact that she was Jewish as being a problem.

What is interesting is that when Momentum HQ was asked for comment, instead of saying something along the lines of "At present we are looking into the reports, as such we cannot give any comment until we have had an opportunity to investigate the allegation", they flat-out rejected the possibility there could be any problem and claimed that any suggestion to the contrary was Islamophobic!!!

Anyway, here is the DM report

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-reveal.html

And here is the full Scribd document

https://www.scribd.com/document/3240...September-2015

Bornblue KingBradly KimKallstrom admonit generallee JamesN88

ReputationRep:
    this makes me want to support the remoaner owen smith.

i support corbyn’s policies but his supporters, as well as momentum, make we want to throw up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    this makes me want to support the remoaner owen smith.

i support corbyn’s policies but his supporters, as well as momentum, make we want to throw up.
    I've stopped attending CLP meetings because of Momentum; they are so unpleasant, aggressive and scornful when they are in groups (sometimes they are quite nice in person) that the CLP now has a really ugly atmosphere, and sometimes it feels actually quite intimidating. It makes me really angry that people who in some cases voted against the party in the last election are running me out of a branch to which I have given several years of participation in canvassing, door-knocking, fundraising and phonebanking.

In the lead-up to the election last year,all of us in the CLP (which included many shades of Labour opinion, including Milibandites like me, and Progress/Blairites too) worked so hard to contribute to getting a Labour government. The Blairites, who I'd sometimes found a bit annoying with their criticisms of Miliband (in hindsight they were right) didn't hesitate for a second to agree that although they had disagreements with Miliband, they had no doubts whatsoever that a Labour government led by him would result in real, positive outcomes for people and that a Labour government had to be a priority no matter which "faction" was in the leadership. Very few of us in the CLP who were around last year still feel that sense of comradeliness, the sense that we are ultimately all working to bring about the same outcomes.

I personally voted Leave, and for the most part I agree with Corbyn's economic policies. But I cannot support his foreign policies, the £20,000 he took to shill for a government than lynches gay men, his associations with fascists... even if I could accept that, all of these things as above and like his attitude to the Falklands just wouldn't go down well in a general election. The vilification of Ed Miliband would look like good-natured banter by comparison to what Corbyn has in store

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    I've stopped attending CLP meetings because of Momentum; they are so unpleasant, aggressive and scornful when they are in groups (sometimes they are quite nice in person) that the CLP now has a really ugly atmosphere, and sometimes it feels actually quite intimidating. It makes me really angry that people who in some cases voted against the party in the last election are running me out of a branch to which I have given several years of participation in canvassing, door-knocking, fundraising and phonebanking.

I personally voted Leave, and for the most part I agree with Corbyn's economic policies. But I cannot support his foreign policies, the £20,000 he took to shill for a government than lynches gay men, his associations with fascists... even if I could accept that, all of these things as above and like his attitude to the Falklands just wouldn't go down well in a general election. The vilification of Ed Miliband would look like good-natured banter by comparison to what Corbyn has in store
    I completely agree. Whilst I am a Labour member, I’ve not attended any local CLP meetings due to my age(13), and as such I have school and extra-curricular commitments, as well as it seeming a bit odd going tbh lol. What constituency do you live in? Also, who did you vote for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    I completely agree. Whilst I am a Labour member, I’ve not attended any local CLP meetings due to my age(13), and as such I have school and extra-curricular commitments, as well as it seeming a bit odd going tbh lol. What constituency do you live in? Also, who did you vote for?
    You're only 13? You sound quite mature.

I live in Camberwell & Peckham, Harriet Harman's constituency (by the way, I think she's a good MP and a pretty nice person. There have been three particular issues I went to her for help with, and she and her office were so quick to help and so thorough in following up. She is quite popular here in the constituency and that is fully deserved in my opinion... I do accept she has made mistakes in the past).

As my constituency is one of the safest in the country, during the election last year we went up to Bermondsey & Old Southwark, which was held by the Liberal Democrat Simon Hughes (an interesting bit of history, it was a safe Labour seat until 1983 when Hughes won it against the Labour candidate, the human and LGBT rights campaigner Peter Tatchell).
    We were successful and Neil Coyle was elected in Simon Hughes place after holding it for 32 years.

I voted for Owen Smith. He has committed to a solid left-wing policy slate on economics, but has remained firm on the traditional Labour foreign policy that has been followed by all Labour governments since Attlee (commitment to NATO and the US alliance, and an independent UK nuclear deterrent). He also comes without the baggage Corbyn has in terms of his repeated associations and friendships with fascists, terrorists and murderous homophobes (and of course the £20,000 he got from Iran to shill for them on TV)

Oh just a caveat, I edited my post above so it is a bit longer now than when you responded to it.

ReputationRep:
    Disgraceful, but tbh I'm not particularly shocked to hear of it.

Hopefully he gets ousted eventually, then this lot can go back to marching and chaining themselves to railings while the serious people get on with the job of getting back into Downing St.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Disgraceful, but tbh I'm not particularly shocked
    to hear of it.

Hopefully he gets ousted eventually, then this lot can go back to marching and chaining themselves to railings while the serious people get on with the job of getting back into Downing St.
    I can see only two possible outcomes.

(1) The moderates plan of challenging Corbyn yearly pays off between now and 2019, one of the challengers is successful (perhaps Dan Jarvis). Labour pulls the huge amount of talent from the backbenches (Keir Starmer, Yvette Cooper, Vernon Coaker, Christ Bryant, Alan Johnson, Michael Dugher, Caroline Flint and many others) and puts together a Shadow Ministry of All the Talents. Either Labour goes on to win the election, or it puts itself in fighting shape to win the next one.

(2) None of the challenges succeed. Corbyn loses the 2020 election, but his followers find a way to blame it on the media, Red Tories, MI5 and Israel. They conclude that his losing was bad luck, that winning elections is like a coin toss and eventually it will come down in their favour. Thus Corbyn stays in power, or organises a hand-over to a protege like Clive Lewis. Labour continues its steady decline until moderate leftists decide to form a new party.

ReputationRep:
    Momentum really need to go rethink their lives.

ReputationRep:
    I can see only two possible outcomes.

(1) The moderates plan of challenging Corbyn yearly pays off between now and 2019, one of the challengers is successful (perhaps Dan Jarvis). Labour pulls the huge amount of talent from the backbenches (Keir Starmer, Yvette Cooper, Vernon Coaker, Christ Bryant, Alan Johnson, Michael Dugher, Caroline Flint and many others) and puts together a Shadow Ministry of All the Talents. Either Labour goes on to win the election, or it puts itself in fighting shape to win the next one.

(2) None of the challenges succeed. Corbyn loses the 2020 election, but his followers find a way to blame it on the media, Red Tories, MI5 and Israel. They conclude that his losing was bad luck, that winning elections is like a coin toss and eventually it will come down in their favour. Thus Corbyn stays in power, or organises a hand-over to a protege like Clive Lewis. Labour continues its steady decline until moderate leftists decide to form a new party.
    I hope it's Dan Jarvis that ends up leader myself, his military record demolishes in advance any attempts by the the right-wing media to go after his character.

Apparently he's being tipped to join the Shadow Cabinet if Corbyn wins, although I'm highly skeptical about the supposed plan for it to be inclusive of all factions in the party for obvious reasons.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_57...b0d584f7f09d38

ReputationRep:
    Can everyone lay off Jezza please. Just because he's a welcoming human being who doesn't bash Muslims at every opportunity like some users on here

Sincerely,
    A Corbyn advocator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I hope it's Dan Jarvis that ends up leader myself, his military record demolishes in advance any attempts by the the right-wing media to go after his character.
    Exactly. And not just his extensive military career, his wife died of cancer leaving him a widower and single father. He remarried but that life experience, along with his service, makes it extremely risky for any media outlet to attack him. Internally the Tories have identified Jarvis as the greatest threat. He's intelligent, pragmatic, he has solid Labour values but is not extreme, and he doesn't come across like a politician. Only in the Labour Party of 2016 could you have a man as unelectable as Corbyn in the leadership while a man who could eat the Tories for breakfast wallows in backbench obscurity.

Apparently he's being tipped to join the Shadow Cabinet if Corbyn wins, although I'm highly skeptical about the supposed plan for it to be inclusive of all factions in the party for obvious reasons.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_57...b0d584f7f09d38
    Absolutely. I don't think they intend true inclusiveness, I think they want to put on a brave face and demonstrate by the return of shadow cabinet members that Corbyn has won completely.

I'm of two minds about Jarvis joining the shadow cabinet. It could implicate him in the mistakes of the Corbyn leadership. Alternatively, it could be a brilliant plan because once he's in the Shadow Cabinet, Corbyn would find it very difficult to sack him. A media fight between Corbyn and Jarvis would only damage Corbyn. And being in the Shadow Cabinet, he can hone his media skills and increase his public profile. More importantly, it means he has a perfect platform from which to resign in June next year to begin his run at the leadership (he can say, "I truly tried to work with Jeremy, after he was re-elected I did my best to contribute for the good of the party. But I see now that no matter how much support we give Jeremy, he is simply incapable of being a leader". Boom goes the starting gun on a new leadership race!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Can everyone lay off Jezza please
    We don't live in a communist dictatorship. In our democracy we are allowed to criticise prominent politicians when they do something wrong.

Just because he's a welcoming human being who doesn't bash Muslims at every opportunity like some users on here
    They weren't looking to be "welcoming", they were looking to bait radical Muslims using their presumed anti-semitism to induce them to help Momentum in stacking the branch votes against the Jewish incumbent MP. I have rarely heard of a scheme in politics that was so cynical, so nakedly lacking in moral scruples and all pursuant to a plan to deselect a sitting Labour MP because she was Jewish.

Surely you can see the problem with that. Or do you extend to all Momentum members the same kneejerk defence you attempt whenever Corbyn is criticised?

ReputationRep:
    We don't live in a communist dictatorship. In our democracy we are allowed to criticise prominent politicians when they do something wrong.

They weren't looking to be "welcoming", they were looking to bait radical Muslims using their presumed anti-semitism to induce them to help Momentum in stacking the branch votes against the Jewish incumbent MP. I have rarely heard of a scheme in politics that was so cynical, so nakedly lacking in moral scruples and all pursuant to a plan to deselect a sitting Labour MP because she was Jewish.

Surely you can see the problem with that. Or do you extend to all Momentum members the same kneejerk defence you attempt whenever Corbyn is criticised?
    What doesn't defeat Jezza will only make him stronger

ReputationRep:
    What doesn't defeat Jezza will only make him stronger
    I think that's where you're wrong. His haste and unpreparedness in this leadership contest has already caused him to make mistakes (the £500 billion investment pledge, Traingate) that can be used against him in future. And his supporters are enthusiastic now, it has only been a year since he was elected. But they will tire of defending him, they will tire of the fact they strenuously justify his actions to other people and then he goes and makes another rookie mistake.

He will probably win this leadership election. He might even win the next one. But each time it will take something out of him. Each time he will find it harder to come back from three months of intense campaigning, and then 9 months later start the process all over again as the next yearly challenge comes.

It's also likely that as the challenges go on, more moderates will want to take part, and moderates massively outnumber hard leftists in this country. In any case, if Corbyn is going to win then what are you worried about?

ReputationRep:
    I think that's where you're wrong. His haste and unpreparedness in this leadership contest has already caused him to make mistakes (the £500 billion investment pledge, Traingate) that can be used against him in future. And his supporters are enthusiastic now, it has only been a year since he was elected. But they will tire of defending him, they will tire of the fact they strenuously justify his actions to other people and then he goes and makes another rookie mistake.

He will probably win this leadership election. He might even win the next one. But each time it will take something out of him. Each time he will find it harder to come back from three months of intense campaigning, and then 9 months later start the process all over again as the next yearly challenge comes.

It's also likely that as the challenges go on, more moderates will want to take part, and moderates massively outnumber hard leftists in this country. In any case, if Corbyn is going to win then what are you worried about?
    No one could have predicted that Sadam Hussain would be overthrown yet here we are

ReputationRep:
    No one could have predicted that Sadam Hussain would be overthrown yet here we are
    Indeed. Most people believe Corbyn is totally secure and can't be "overthrown" (defeated in a leadership contest). We'll see how secure he is by the third leadership election in the summer of 2018 (if he survives the challenge of 2017).

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Most people believe Corbyn is totally secure and can't be "overthrown" (defeated in a leadership contest). We'll see how secure he is by the third leadership election in the summer of 2018 (if he survives the challenge of 2017).
    He will, he's only as strong as the faith we have in him

ReputationRep:
    Now this is the "regressive left".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    Now this is the "regressive left".
    Absolutely. The whole situation involves a neuseating level of bigotry against the MP simply because she is Jewish, and then the cynical hope they can find some radical Muslims who share their bigotry and together they can bring down this MP.

As you say, this is a perfect crystallisation of the regressive left; a hard left making common cause with radical Muslims to attack a moderate centre-left Jewish politician.

I also thought this comment was interesting and revealing;

The group hoped to elect Momentum members to Labour's constituency parties in Liverpool in order to "change the structures of the CLPs to benefit us"
    Momentum is the parasite, Labour is the host. This parasite is looking like it may well kill the host before it has finished feeding.

ReputationRep:
    He will, he's only as strong as the faith we have in him
    Ah yes, it's all about faith. There has always been a significant quasi-religious character to the cult of Saint Jezbollah

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.