Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Guys I don't even know where this came from

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I just moved into uni halls and I don't really get along with my roommates, basically I tried to go into the Kitchen to get my food but I heard my roommates and like 4 other random people just talking and then it hit me, I froze up and just couldn't even force myself to get my noodles out of the damn microwave. On another note they probably have already judged me before considering I'm brown/Arabian and didn't really talk to me that much even though I kind of made an effort but whatever. Back to the point, I didn't even think Social Anxiety was a real thing before this, If someone told me they had Social Anxiety before I would just laugh and say "man up".

So yeah I think I have some kind of Social Anxiety, I keep telling myself "**** them, who cares what they think" but for some reason it won't go away, I also haven't made any friends yet so that could be the problem already. Moral of the story is: Social Anxiety is a real thing and I experienced what it's like to have your body freeze up and have a little voice in your head telling yourself "what if this happens or what if this happens".

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I think what you feel is normal. A lot of people are moving into situations with new people and new challenges and even new characters. At first it'll be really odd but what I suggest you do is approach some people slowly and just introduce yourself and try to get on friendly enough terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hm230897)
    I just moved into uni halls and I don't really get along with my roommates, basically I tried to go into the Kitchen to get my food but I heard my roommates and like 4 other random people just talking and then it hit me, I froze up and just couldn't even force myself to get my noodles out of the damn microwave. On another note they probably have already judged me before considering I'm brown/Arabian and didn't really talk to me that much even though I kind of made an effort but whatever. Back to the point, I didn't even think Social Anxiety was a real thing before this, If someone told me they had Social Anxiety before I would just laugh and say "man up".

So yeah I think I have some kind of Social Anxiety, I keep telling myself "**** them, who cares what they think" but for some reason it won't go away, I also haven't made any friends yet so that could be the problem already. Moral of the story is: Social Anxiety is a real thing and I experienced what it's like to have your body freeze up and have a little voice in your head telling yourself "what if this happens or what if this happens".
    Hello,

First of all, as someone who suffers from anxiety and social anxiety, I'm insulted at the viewpoint that you had and a part of me doesn't want to help you because it's karma for having that viewpoint on a very sensitive and difficult matter.

If I laughed at you and told you to "man up" now, how would you feel? You'd feel like I'd done very little to help you and just brushed off your problems but no. I wouldn't do that because social anxiety is serious and uncontrollable and horrible.

It's good to know that you've realised it's a real thing but don't think you've found a moral high ground by realising this when you shouldn't have brushed it off all along.

Social Anxiety is difficult to deal with - my suggestions is you start talking to one person at a time before dealing with your whole flat as a whole. Your downfall is thinking they have already judged you - people aren't that shallow at university and you shouldn't think they've already judged you because if you get that in your head, you'll start acting in a way which will push you away from them. Start talking to one person at a time and building it up until you are comfortable with your flat.

Good luck, and never, EVER, judge everyone or use those words again on someone that suffers from anxiety or social anxiety.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.