Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People that went to not so great universities

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglad2k16)
    But surely UCL is just a poor man's Oxbridge or Imperial?
    UCL and Imperial's prestige is as narrow as Oxford and Cambridge's. An Imperial student saying UCL is a poor man's Imperial is like an Oxford student saying Cambridge is a poor man's Oxford.

Anyway, it's mostly to do with the fact that they also have a historical rivalry and are both situated in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Furthermore, to bring people to speed on why Warwick gets so much hate on TSR - it's because they're commonly compared to Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL. That makes all the praiseful stakeholders of those universities criticise Warwick; everyone else from universities that they think is better than Warwick jumps in too.

In personal opinion, I think Warwick is definitely in the Top 10, but Top 5 is perhaps too much.
    They normally come 8th on most rankings. They come debatable 3rd for maths. Most sources put Imperial 3rd after Oxford and they put Cambridge first. However the thing is for world wide reputation Imperial are in the top 10 globally whilst Warwick are 51st. So if you want your degree to have International prestige you go to Imperial for maths. If your only fusses about the UK there is not much in it for maths.

Warwick Definitely makes top 5 for maths though.

I for one would be inclined towards Imperial because of political instability and turbulent times may need to move and having a strong recognized degree might help with this. More hope with Imperial. Btw I blame the left wing for the times we are in not the right wing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Probably a Scottish Uni, where the 2nd year is really equivalent to an English first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actually thought you were been silly like digging at Scotland here, but making my list of universities and entry requirements etc I actually find I have come across this quite a bit. This does not give me the best impression of Scottish Universities to be honest. do they have four years instead of 3? in which case it makes little difference still doing the same content in 3years. However if not then this is very worrying, and I question If I would learn the same at a Scottish University. I thought St Andrews and Edinburgh were supposed to be very good for maths.

Clearly not if they only rehash A level stuff in first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    I actually thought you were been silly like digging at Scotland here, but making my list of universities and entry requirements etc I actually find I have come across this quite a bit. This does not give me the best impression of Scottish Universities to be honest. do they have four years instead of 3? in which case it makes little difference still doing the same content in 3years. However if not then this is very worrying, and I question If I would learn the same at a Scottish University. I thought St Andrews and Edinburgh were supposed to be very good for maths.

Clearly not if they only rehash A level stuff in first year.
    Scottish kids usually finish school at 17 and it's not enough to go straight into undergrad so they have like a foundation year, English kids have enough knowledge to go straight into the 3 year course (or 2nd year of the 4 year course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyLadDarren)
    Scottish kids usually finish school at 17 and it's not enough to go straight into undergrad so they have like a foundation year, English kids have enough knowledge to go straight into the 3 year course (or 2nd year of the 4 year course)
    ah thanks then this is not really an issue, I guess Edinburgh and St Andrews are still ones I could consider then. mind you very far away and plenty of decent Universities that ask for the same grades and of same standard so Probably go somewhere more local, mind you if I get rejected from all 5 and have to use Ucas Extra or end up in clearing or something might be something I could entertain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioGeek)
    I think its more of a question in what you do your degree in. If you do a STEM degree (regardless of the University) you attend, your options are just as good if you went to a higher University.
    Nice joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    If there are missing exam papers, why don't you tell the exam centre or the exam board? It's their fault and you shouldn't just accept that- you did the exam fair and square, someone else making a mistake shouldn't prevent you from going to university. Or you could take a year out and apply again
    Because he's lying. Exam boards don't just lose peoples' scripts and fail to rectify their mistakes. If this happened there would be uproar and it would be in the national news.

I remember last year he made a similar excuse about his coursework being missing.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.