Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Sixth form twice?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I could really do with some advice

I finished my a levels in June of this year with grades in Psychology (B), Law (C) and Biology (D). Not the greatest results but what I'm wondering is could I go back to sixth form to study completely different a levels as I'm still 18?
    I wanted to study French, RE, History and English Language but didn't have any faith in myself that I would actually do well in these subjects when applying to sixth form the first time so instead I chose the ones I did.
    I'm currently at a college studying a extended btec and was planning on resiting some units in Law and Psychology to get them to an A grade in summer 2017 and then entering as a private candidate to sit the AS and A2 exams of an a level I plan to teach myself in summer 2018. However, this would mean I've been studying these A levels for 4 years and some of the unis I'm looking at don't accept student who have resat exams so I'm thinking a fresh start might be the best way to go about it. But is going to sixth form twice to weird and uncommon? I'm confident I will do better in these a levels because I did well in them at GCSE and I'm genuinely interested in them so I'll be motivated to perform well.

Sorry its so long I just really need some advice before I make any solid plans and begin speaking to my college sixth form campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it's what you want to do then go for it! There's nothing wrong with that and if you feel you can get better grades in those subjects (and will enjoy them more) then it sounds like a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellepritchard)
    Hey, I could really do with some advice

I finished my a levels in June of this year with grades in Psychology (B), Law (C) and Biology (D). Not the greatest results but what I'm wondering is could I go back to sixth form to study completely different a levels as I'm still 18?
    I wanted to study French, RE, History and English Language but didn't have any faith in myself that I would actually do well in these subjects when applying to sixth form the first time so instead I chose the ones I did.
    I'm currently at a college studying a extended btec and was planning on resiting some units in Law and Psychology to get them to an A grade in summer 2017 and then entering as a private candidate to sit the AS and A2 exams of an a level I plan to teach myself in summer 2018. However, this would mean I've been studying these A levels for 4 years and some of the unis I'm looking at don't accept student who have resat exams so I'm thinking a fresh start might be the best way to go about it. But is going to sixth form twice to weird and uncommon? I'm confident I will do better in these a levels because I did well in them at GCSE and I'm genuinely interested in them so I'll be motivated to perform well.

Sorry its so long I just really need some advice before I make any solid plans and begin speaking to my college sixth form campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You need to find somewhere that will take you at a price you can afford. PLus, what is your long term plan, because you are mentioning a fair jumble of subjects, but no clear career plan.

It's very unusual to go back to sixth form for 2 full years, indeed I suspect most sixth forms won't take you, it would have to be an FE College or similar. But primarily - is this necessary for your career plans and will it be successful?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry for not clarifying!
    I'm hoping to do law with a language at uni.
    History and Re will be helpful for this and a few unis I'm looking at require a B in a language at uni, hence why I want to do French.
    I'm fairly confident my current college will let me do a levels there but I'm just too undecided atm!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly fine, I know a handful of people who are doing the entire 2 years again, don't worry about it if you will put in the work you will get the reward. Also, although you didn't mention it don't worry about being "too old" (which you probably aren't) for uni because my entire flat is 20

ReputationRep:
    Really? How are they finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Books

Essential advice

11 things A-level students wish they'd known before starting their course.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.