Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Durham uni freshers week

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi I was just wondering what freshers week was like at Durham and how it compares to those at other unis? Obviously lots of things are arranged within colleges but after these events do people go out? And is there much opportunity to meet people from other colleges? Thanks!

Also, do all the organised events make the week feel at all claustrophobic without being able to just go and do your own thing (can you decide just to go out clubbing for example)?

Why has knobody bothered to answer this?

(Original post by alicereynolds)
    Also, do all the organised events make the week feel at all claustrophobic without being able to just go and do your own thing (can you decide just to go out clubbing for example)?

I was a fresher 2 years ago, and a frep last year...

In my experience freshers' week is just more... organised at Durham than other Universities? Big cities tend to have SU nights and club nights and you and your flatmates can choose where to go, where Durham has less choice - you could choose to ignore the college events and try to go out in town on your own, but some places will be reserved for colleges, and to be honest I think it's more fun to meet people from your college, and take advantage of drinks deals / fancy dress / photobooths another such novelties!

The freps are also more present - I think it's a nice thing as it eases you in, and there are always people around to answer questions or show you stuff.

*We had 2 nights out within the week, so 2 nights ended in clubs as organised, other nights some people went out and other stay in, kind of just depends what the people you meet do. I think some colleges might even go to Newcastle, but that happens a few weeks into term for Butler.

You'll meet people from other colleges at subject talks, and at any tasters you go to for uni-wide sports and societies. You might meet them clubbing, depending on whether your college has booked a venue - I think sometimes they share.

The only bits which I found claustrophobic were the annoying things - Matriculation was an early morning after a big night out, we had an early mooring college talk, my subject gave me a early morning talk which was so useless. I think it's nice having college stuff because it removes the worry over whether to buy a wristband, and if you don't feel like doing the thing you flat is doing it's really easy to meet other people at other organised things *
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.