The Student Room Group

Christian advertisers

What do you think about these people who do this?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I personally find them incredibly annoying. They mean well though and genuinely want to try and save people, so I try not to be rude to them. I usually just walk by without taking anything, or wave a cross/crucifix in their face :tongue:

:jebus:
Well what do you want them to do? Bring the pope to your shopping centre to hand out follow Christian pamphlets?
Reply 3
This is why I walk down the town wearing my headphones - you're less likely to be approached by charity workers or by advertisers though I have had some who have tapped me on the shoulder when I've had headphones in but that's rare.

It's annoying being approached on the street by any kind of organisation or church reps and even more annoying when they are trying to preach to you, be it with their own words or through a leaflet. They can believe what they want but I don't have to buy into it or even listen and I would rather not be approached on the street or at my home by those who sometimes go around chapping doors also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i spit at them and make sure they know i throw it in the bin
Reply 5
Original post by Datalwo
Today a guy was handing out leaflets in the city centre and I looked and it was about being "happy". It had a story about an athiest and said he told people that God didn't exist and then when asked if he was happy he wasn't then it said to find happiness you need to follow jesus or something??

By any chance is this Leeds City Centre?

It's AWFUL in Leeds
Reply 6
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Well what do you want them to do? Bring the pope to your shopping centre to hand out follow Christian pamphlets?

I want them to do nothing. I sort of feel bad for them that they do this
Original post by Datalwo
Today a guy was handing out leaflets in the city centre and I looked and it was about being "happy". It had a story about an athiest and said he told people that God didn't exist and then when asked if he was happy he wasn't then it said to find happiness you need to follow jesus or something??

Which Christains would these be?

The only ones I know handing out leaflets are the Jehovas witnesses and they do it in a n non intrusive way. They simply hold the leaflet out and people can take it if they wish. If you arent interested then dont take one or just bin it?

Are you religious OP and if so what faith?
Reply 8
Lol they don't really bother me, I just tell them I'm not interested and walk off. But come on, it's not even just Christians that give out leaflets, Muslims too... But we'll leave that to another topic :wink:
Original post by PrinceOfOrange
i spit at them and make sure they know i throw it in the bin

Thats mature of you.
Reply 10
Original post by AshEntropy
By any chance is this Leeds City Centre?

It's AWFUL in Leeds

Na Manchester
Original post by Spock's Socks
This is why I walk down the town wearing my headphones - you're less likely to be approached by charity workers or by advertisers though I have had some who have tapped me on the shoulder when I've had headphones in but that's rare.

It's annoying being approached on the street by any kind of organisation or church reps and even more annoying when they are trying to preach to you, be it with their own words or through a leaflet. They can believe what they want but I don't have to buy into it or even listen and I would rather not be approached on the street or at my home by those who sometimes go around chapping doors also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For goodness sake dont take the leaflet then and just walk past.
Reply 12
Original post by Datalwo
Na Manchester

Ah yes! I've been there, it's just like Leeds' :frown:
Original post by 999tigger
For goodness sake dont take the leaflet then and just walk past.

I never said I take a leaflet? I do walk past but sometimes I get stopped when I'm not wearing headphones and I tell them that I'm not interested but they keep talking and can be quite persistent or they have posters with their cause that are clearly visible which might be similar to their leaflet. I wouldn't take a leaflet just to throw it in the bin two mins later :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

This is an example of the ones in Leeds City Centre, they stand in the same places scattered across town in narrow corners so that you can't avoid them unless you want to cross 2 traffic light crossings. :frown:
Original post by Spock's Socks
I never said I take a leaflet? I do walk past but sometimes I get stopped when I'm not wearing headphones and I tell them that I'm not interested but they keep talking and can be quite persistent or they have posters with their cause that are clearly visible which might be similar to their leaflet. I wouldn't take a leaflet just to throw it in the bin two mins later :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

These are Christians?
Reply 16
Sadly it gets quite bad in Leeds City Centre. I was walking through one of the markets and a man (clearly off his rocker) was walking about wearing a sign saying "GOD HATES ****". I casually held my boyfriend's hand in front of him and the man looked at me like I'd burnt his Yorkshire Puddings. :colone:
These are Christians?

Yes. In my town it's mainly been Church of Scotland, Mormons and Jehovahs Witness reps that approach you on the street.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AshEntropy

This is an example of the ones in Leeds City Centre, they stand in the same places scattered across town in narrow corners so that you can't avoid them unless you want to cross 2 traffic light crossings. :frown:

They look like jehovas witnesses. They dont engage you unless you talk to them. They hold leaflets out but they are for you to take from rather than them being forced into your hand. Completely non intrusive and I cnat see what you are all moaning about. Jehovas witnesses are quite a distinct religious group. I find you cna walk right past them with ease and they do not bother you. Am quite surprised what sensitive little sould you all are on TSR that you feel threatened by someone holding a leaflet or leaflets stacked on a display stand. Very scary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
They look like jehovas witnesses. They dont engage you unless you talk to them. They hold leaflets out but they are for you to take from rather than them being forced into your hand. Completely non intrusive and I cnat see what you are all moaning about. Jehovas witnesses are quite a distinct religious group.

Oh they do force it in your hand!

Quick Reply

Latest