Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Explosions in New York

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hmm wonder what the motivations were, I'm sure most people are assuming Islamic terrorism (could be) but yeah.

Good that nobody has been killed (so far).

Also I hope this doesn't lead to another middle-eastern country intentionally destabalized/bombed just to satisfy the US government's obsession with Eye-for-an-eye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    As I say, nobody has died, so no I don't think this event does merit rolling news coverage. Why should this news story eclipse everything else that is going on in the world?
    The intention was clearly to kill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Because humans have yet to evolve beyond emotions. Every human has the capacity to revert to a bestial state.

There will only be peace when all humans are rational, and share the same goals.
    Sounds like a dull world though, not worth living in. Like the world at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IkeaLamp)
    Ah yes, some more innocent criticism of an ideology - by insta-blaming Islam... :rolleyes:
    It sounds (currently) like he has literally asked people if they are Muslim or worship Allah and stabbed those who said no.

I fail to see the problem with bringing his religion into the discussion. It doesn't sound like he stabbed them to protect his vegetable allotment, does it?

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, some more innocent criticism of an ideology - by insta-blaming Islam... :rolleyes:
    Considering the major attacks in the last decade or so of islamic extremists on many major cities in the world including one on new york itself where 3000 people died in case you have forgotten,its hardly an unjustified conclusion.Bombings have become a hallmark of islamic extremism.And Islam does have everything to do with it btw. no one would have anything to fear from a jainist extremist because jainism is a completely peaceful religion unlike others you might mention.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully no one will die in this or in the Minnesota shopping mall stabbing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Sounds like a dull world though, not worth living in. Like the world at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
    I'm sure there are philosophers who have argued that a peaceful society is dull, and not worth living in.

Btw, why are you referencing a 60 year old movie? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are philosophers who have argued that a peaceful society is dull, and not worth living in.

Btw, why are you referencing a 60 year old movie? :eyeball:
    Well, I meant the excellent remake as well, but what's wrong with referencing it?

ReputationRep:
    alevelisstress - Remember me telling you the media creates narratives reporting similar incidents in bunches ..?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/180511...ear-barcelona/

A gas explosion in Spain would not be headline news but for the fact of the bombings in America

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Well, I meant the excellent remake as well, but what's wrong with referencing it?
    Because I had to google it :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Because I had to google it :cry2:
    It's a real classic, I thoroughly recommend it, and also the remake.

ReputationRep:

Apparently they were like those used during the Boston Marathon.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone notice it seems to have completely disappeared from trending on Twitter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Considering the major attacks in the last decade or so of islamic extremists on many major cities in the world including one on new york itself where 3000 people died in case you have forgotten,its hardly an unjustified conclusion.Bombings have become a hallmark of islamic extremism.And Islam does have everything to do with it btw. no one would have anything to fear from a jainist extremist because jainism is a completely peaceful religion unlike others you might mention.
    Correlation does not imply causation. Its dumb and offensive to start your anti-PC attack on Islam before its even been confirmed, not to mention the various police reports saying that it has no direct link to terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    It sounds (currently) like he has literally asked people if they are Muslim or worship Allah and stabbed those who said no.

I fail to see the problem with bringing his religion into the discussion. It doesn't sound like he stabbed them to protect his vegetable allotment, does it?
    you're confusing the Minnesota mall stabbing with this event, please sort yourself out

ReputationRep:
    Correlation does not imply causation. Its dumb and offensive to start your anti-PC attack on Islam before its even been confirmed, not to mention the various police reports saying that it has no direct link to terrorism.
    Whats dumb and offensive is constantly denying the cause of these terror attacks.The police say it has no link to terrorism.Yes a bomb goes off in a major city its not terrorism.What else is it likely to be exactly?Peaceful protest? The russians declaring war? What they mean is there is no link yet to a terror group,but its more than likely one of these lone wolf islamic extremists.

Because humans have yet to evolve beyond emotions. Every human has the capacity to revert to a bestial state.

There will only be peace when all humans are rational, and share the same goals.
    but animals do not behave like this... **

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    but animals do not behave like this... **
    Of course, animals killing each other is unheard of. No species of animals butcher practice infanticide, no species of animals kill each other over sex. If the world was run by animals, it would be a better place.

Well actually, I'm not so sure. Animals just haven't invented the means to blow each other up; but given the chance, they would, and over even pettier things than an imaginary sky daddy (which animals are too stupid to even make up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Whats dumb and offensive is constantly denying the cause of these terror attacks.The police say it has no link to terrorism.Yes a bomb goes off in a major city its not terrorism.What else is it likely to be exactly?Peaceful protest? The russians declaring war? What they mean is there is no link yet to a terror group,but its more than likely one of these lone wolf islamic extremists.
    Because its disputable whether Islam is the cause, or whether ISIS, who actively nitpick extremist parts of Islam and ignore peaceful parts and motivate foreign nationals to commit atrocities in their name, is the cause.

It could've just as easily been a far-right, anti-establishment, anti-PC attack as well. Both extreme rightists and extreme Islamists are the same thing - malleable individuals who are motivated to attack in the name of an ideology because the ideology, purported by far-rightist parties or by Islamist terrorists, collectivises the anger of these sorts of people and transforms it into anti-west or anti-liberal sentiment.

ReputationRep:
    Because its disputable whether Islam is the cause, or whether ISIS, who actively nitpick extremist parts of Islam and ignore peaceful parts and motivate foreign nationals to commit atrocities in their name, is the cause.

It could've just as easily been a far-right, anti-establishment, anti-PC attack as well. Both extreme rightists and extreme Islamists are the same thing - malleable individuals who are motivated to attack in the name of an ideology because the ideology, purported by far-rightist parties or by Islamist terrorists, collectivises the anger of these sorts of people and transforms it into anti-west or anti-liberal sentiment.
    Islam is the cause.The difference between moderate muslims and extremist muslims is that moderate muslims take their faith far less seriously.Extremist muslims take their faith seriously.They dont cherrypick the parts of islam they dont like.When it says kill unbelivers in the quran extremists dont ignore that,moderate muslims do.Muhhamed who is venerated by muslims spread islam at the point of a sword.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.