Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

An idiot in politics

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I feel so stupid because i have no idea what's going on around there world politically. I live in Crydon, England and i have no idea about political leaders, issues etc
    i really don't like this feeling and i want to become knowledgable in this area but i have no idea where to start

Can you guys suggest any starting points or websites to lay the basics

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    How old r u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're in year 9 you might want to consider taking history at gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    im so ashamed to say i am nearly 17

ReputationRep:
    The best way to start is just to listen/ read the news everyday, to get an idea of current affairs. If there's something you're not clear on that they're talking about, you can always look into the issues further on Google.

ReputationRep:
    Research goings-on in the Middle East from end of WW1 to gulf wars now. That should be helpful.

Also, research the Cold War.

Basically research the 20th century tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Read and watch the news from different newspapers/websites/TV channels. Read foreign media if they have English sources as often they will have a different perspective on things.

Realise that all media outlets have an agenda and are trying to make you believe certain things (even the ones which supposedly don't like the BBC).

Use your own judgement to form a balanced view about what is really going on.

ReputationRep:
    Best piece of advice i was given when getting into politics and political thought was not to get stuck in the mire that is the very narrow conception of politics played out in the mainstream of Britain and other western nations.

Politics is pretty simple really, dont get flustered by people trying to fool you with techno-babble, many of those people are just as ignorant as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Just to learn some straight-up political terms and current affairs, watch the news and read online sources. The BBC is a good, accurate source, although it does evidently lean to the left on some articles (such as the migrant crisis). Also read up on a bit of world history from the 20th century, and if you come across any terms that you don't understand then Google is your friend!

Watch the news, especially in the morning when you're getting ready for school/work when you get all the major headlines.
    Also, discuss it with other people. Sounds a bit boring but it's a way to try and understand political issues and develop your own opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questions4367)
    im so ashamed to say i am nearly 17
    Just read news.

ReputationRep:
    Current politics abridged edition

Labour- incompetent virtue signallers lead by unpleasant morons

Conservatives- Corporare Shills lead by The Daily Mail

UKIP- dumb crypto racists lead by fascist dinner lady

Green Party- Assorted weirdos lead by a kindly hippy

Lib Dems- Degenerates lead by evangelical muppet

SNP- Labour with a Celtic twist lead by a young Angela Merkel

Dup- Protestant Taliban

SInn Fein- Irish Terrorists

Plaid Cymru- genuinely think they should be taken seriously

Bornblue
    Rakas21
    ChaoticButterfly

@

ReputationRep:
    I feel so stupid because i have no idea what's going on around there world politically. I live in Crydon, England and i have no idea about political leaders, issues etc
    i really don't like this feeling and i want to become knowledgable in this area but i have no idea where to start

Thank you.
    It might be difficult in the beginning to stay up to date with the news, but trust me, if you're really interested, it will become part of your daily routine.
    Some sources I suggest reading from:

BBC News- impartial information, get the facts here and download the app on your phone, it will alert you whenever there is breaking news.
    The Guardian- left wing opinions on current affairs
    The Telegraph- right wing opinion on current affairs
    BBC Question Time (BBCQT)- more interactive discussion with people, easily watched on BBC iPlayer
    Prime Minister's Question's (PMQs)- First hand information from the PM herself.
    The Economist- just nice to read, their articles sound like stories, easy to get engrossed. But, not one of your main sources if you want to be focused on just UK Politics- good for worldwide news, esp under 'The World This Week' -- subscription required.

Note: You don't have to read ALL of these, just do a few of them each week.
    PS, I did a few of these during my Government and Politics AS, it really helped.

ReputationRep:
    Watch the news, watch youtube videos on certain topics, research history (Cold War, WW1/2, US and terrorism etc.) and talk about it with people then you'll be up to speed in no time

ReputationRep:
    Read up on news and current affairs when you get the chance, and look at stuff from lots of different sources, even those with biases you disagree with.

Bear in mind that pretty much everything you read will have a bias in some way, and some news sources are less reliable than others when it comes to factual accuracy and good quality journalism. Bias is pretty obvious in opinion pieces, but even regular news articles may be slanted a certain way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

Dup- Protestant Taliban

Bornblue
    Rakas21
    ChaoticButterfly

@
    Pretty much.

ReputationRep:

Dup- Protestant Taliban

Bornblue
    Rakas21
    ChaoticButterfly

@
    Can't argue with this.

Is that disillusionment I sense by any chance?

ReputationRep:

Thank you.
    A suggestion is that when you start out learning about politics, it's very easy to get sidetracked by something you read early on, and then get sucked into the conspiracy world. Don't do that; you will go down a rabbit hole from which it will take you years to recover.

If someone online is claiming that the explanation is a conspiracy, then 99 times out of 100 they are bonkers.

Really the only way to start informing yourself is by starting to research and understand how parliament works, how governments are elected, the relationship between the Queen and the government, the histories and focuses of the two political parties (the Conservatives represent the old order, the descendent of the party that was for the interests of the landed gentry and aristocracy, the wealthy, etc... Labour came out of trade unions and workers demanding more rights, better wages and more safe working environments, etc etc).

Once you basically understand who the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader are, what the cabinet is, how elections work, you are then in a good position to start following the news. Read numerous different sources, from the Guardian to the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the Spectator and the New Statesman. Steer clear of extremist websites like The Canary and Breitbart (although it its worth a look if you want to see some characteristic fanaticism and willful ignorance). I'd say the best UK publication is the Financial Times, it's not just about finance and business but has excellent political and world news coverage (often you will have access for free through your university, check it out).

It's worthwhile researching extensively before deciding who to support, if anyone. It's easy to get sucked into the excitement, the feeling of belonging, the tribal comfort of being part of a group or movement, but I'd say only do that once you've really done your research (and don't follow Corbyn and his movement... if you want to know why I am happy to say)

ReputationRep:
    X
    Ha! That reminds me of this;

JamesN88 Bornblue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Ha! That reminds me of this;

JamesN88 Bornblue
    Great banter, great banter...

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.