Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

GCSE Mocks before Christmas - When to start revising and how long for?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 11 this year and my school have put the mocks before Christmas.

They always used to be after Christmas so I can't ask anyone in the years above.
    They start on 29th November and I dont know when to start revising or how long for? I've looked on TSR but most people say they revised over Christmas which obviously I don't have!
    We have mocks in everything so I will have a lot of exams (doing triple science btw)
    We had mocks on part 1 of the sciences at Christmas last year (B1 C1 P1) and i started revision on boxing day and probably revised at least 4 hours a day and they were the second week we got back. I came out with 2x A* and 1x A in Chem.
    Obviously I have more exams now so I don't know when to start revision and how many hours a day?
    Thankyou to anyone who replies!

ReputationRep:
    My mocks are also before Christmas and woo Triple Science for me too, though we've not covered all of c3, b3 and p3 so won't be examined on those.

I'd say, start revising now. Although these are mocks, the revision you do now would most probably help you with the revision you do for the actual GCSE's. You'll have background revision so you don't have to start on a clean slate. Don't spend all your weekends revising, make sure you keep time for yourself. A few hours on the weekends with breaks in between should be fine. If you have time after school, an hour or two would be good. I'd defo recommend making a revision timetable.

Don't stress yourself out with the mocks. There's a channel on Youtube called Primrose Kitten or something like that, and it has a video dedicated to this. Pretty much where I got Year11 advice from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geminitwinsx)
    I'm in Year 11 this year and my school have put the mocks before Christmas.

They always used to be after Christmas so I can't ask anyone in the years above.
    They start on 29th November and I dont know when to start revising or how long for? I've looked on TSR but most people say they revised over Christmas which obviously I don't have!
    We have mocks in everything so I will have a lot of exams (doing triple science btw)
    We had mocks on part 1 of the sciences at Christmas last year (B1 C1 P1) and i started revision on boxing day and probably revised at least 4 hours a day and they were the second week we got back. I came out with 2x A* and 1x A in Chem.
    Obviously I have more exams now so I don't know when to start revision and how many hours a day?
    Thankyou to anyone who replies!
    You can start making notes now, if you haven't already?

Last year, I made a list of ALL the topics I needed to learn. For example, P1- Generating Energy, The Expanding Universe... Then I put them in a caldender and I'd go over the topics at different times so I didn't get bored of doing one whole subject at a time.

If you don't like that idea, I would recommend looking over notes every now and then and maybe do a few past papers so you get used to the layout. Also, if you have a mock in English, try to reread the books and poems. I used flashcards for English, which was pretty useful!

Good luck!

(P.S. ++ Use your October half term wisely)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idfk_)
    My mocks are also before Christmas and woo Triple Science for me too, though we've not covered all of c3, b3 and p3 so won't be examined on those.

I'd say, start revising now. Although these are mocks, the revision you do now would most probably help you with the revision you do for the actual GCSE's. You'll have background revision so you don't have to start on a clean slate. Don't spend all your weekends revising, make sure you keep time for yourself. A few hours on the weekends with breaks in between should be fine. If you have time after school, an hour or two would be good. I'd defo recommend making a revision timetable.

Don't stress yourself out with the mocks. There's a channel on Youtube called Primrose Kitten or something like that, and it has a video dedicated to this. Pretty much where I got Year11 advice from
    Yes thats the same with me, we will get tested on only the first 2 units of each science, i shall definitely look at that YouTuber, thankyou! Okay I'll probably start bits of revision now although our teachers love setting homework! Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    You can start making notes now, if you haven't already?

Last year, I made a list of ALL the topics I needed to learn. For example, P1- Generating Energy, The Expanding Universe... Then I put them in a caldender and I'd go over the topics at different times so I didn't get bored of doing one whole subject at a time.

If you don't like that idea, I would recommend looking over notes every now and then and maybe do a few past papers so you get used to the layout. Also, if you have a mock in English, try to reread the books and poems. I used flashcards for English, which was pretty useful!

Good luck!

(P.S. ++ Use your October half term wisely)
    Yes I have started making notes, especially in science (I have everything on Q-Cards because they really help me) so I'm okay on that, I did some revision and notes on Lord of the Flies in Summer so I have got the basic notes but I think I meant more hardcore revision with past papers etc. etc. but yeah we do have a mock in English so I'll definitely try flashcard as English is not my favourite subject so it gets rejected quite a lot in revision! Thankyou for replying! I'll definitely create a calendar and timetable though!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.