Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Overambitious uni choice?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    My predicted grades for a level are ABB (however my teachers have given me the option to be predicted AAB).

I want to apply to a university course that has AAA as the entry requirement for an aspirational choice and was wondering if they would reject me outright?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radmandy)
    My predicted grades for a level are ABB (however my teachers have given me the option to be predicted AAB).

I want to apply to a university course that has AAA as the entry requirement for an aspirational choice and was wondering if they would reject me outright?

Thanks in advance
    It's not just about whether they would accept you, because if they do and you and your teachers don't think you'll get the AAA then you're just going to miss you grades and end up at your insurance.

By all means reach for the top that you can achieve, but you do need to be realistic. Maybe give it a go as one choice, but the others should be AAB or ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    It's not just about whether they would accept you, because if they do and you and your teachers don't think you'll get the AAA then you're just going to miss you grades and end up at your insurance.

By all means reach for the top that you can achieve, but you do need to be realistic. Maybe give it a go as one choice, but the others should be AAB or ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm also worried about that happening, I want to be able to apply to see if I at least have a chance because I feel like I'd regret it later on if i didn't. I think it would be more realistic to apply for ones that are AAB or ABB. Thank you for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Next year might be especially weird, but if it is somewhere you really want to go to and your predictions are not way off, and depending too on the subject and the university and making other choices so you don't end up in Extra... go for it. A dropped grade or two doesn't mean no chance of getting into your Firm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also worried about that happening, I want to be able to apply to see if I at least have a chance because I feel like I'd regret it later on if i didn't. I think it would be more realistic to apply for ones that are AAB or ABB. Thank you for the advice!
    You can afford to apply to at least one university at AAA so I personally would give it a go. Personally I would say 2/5 should maybe be around this mark in case of a rejection. Just make sure as a backup you like your insurance choice!

My mate got BCD in AS last year and was predicted BBB (with some retakes). He applied to a top university and was offered AAB.
    He did work really hard last year and achieved ABB and the university still took him.

AAA would be an ideal attainment and universities will reconsider all offers made on results day. The main thing is to work really hard this year ( that's the key) and you may surprise yourself. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Entry requirements are so unpredictable, from Personal experience i've learnt people applying with BCC and even CCC for ABB course and have not only got offers, but they get accepted too when they miss the offers. And it seems this is very far from rare, so op I would defiantly have at least 3 inspirational choices

ReputationRep:
    Search your course and the specific uni here - http://university.which.co.uk/courses

Click "course information" - scroll down a bit and you should be able to see the average grades accepted onto the course.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    Make sure you really want to go to insurance if you do

ReputationRep:
    APPLY APPLY APPLY APPLY

Make sure you have a range of choices, but always choose at least one reach choice! Best of luck! X

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Sponsored features:

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

More on applying to uni

Applying to uniA-level results day features

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.