The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017 - Please Help!!!

So I am going into my third year of a natural sciences degree at Cambridge, however I have achieved 2.2s in both of my first two years and am not sure that I will manage to get a 2.1 this next year. I am having a go at a GEM application this year anyway (yolo) but having scored only 670 on my UKCAT I'm struggling to know where to apply to to maximise my chances. Haven't done the GAMSAT but thinking of doing the BMAT to open up my options a bit more.
Any advice at all would be much much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
All ukcat and bmat gem courses require a 2.1 as a minimum iirc. Although there are some which accept 2.2 with a postgrad qualification such as masters/PhD, eg Warwick.
Reply 2
Okay but putting that aside for a moment as I can probably get a 2.1 prediction (I was very close to a 2.1 this year), do you have any advice on where is best to apply considering that my UKCAT isnt great?
In all honesty, I don't think that UKCAT score will be high enough to get you an interview for any GEM courses unfortunately.

This guide may help as there are a few unis that don't use entrance exams, I imagine you'll be fine for places like Bristol as I'm sure your A-Level grades are top notch. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

You may as well apply this year, but would you consider doing the GAMSAT (I think the next test is March next year)?

For now, I'd say the most important thing is getting your 2:1, the UKCAT is such a silly test, but it's easier to work around a poor UKCAT than a 2:2.

Good luck!
Reply 4
I think the person saying a 2.2 for a UKCAT uni is right, I'm in the same situation, I also have no science background so I have 3 uni options from current research!

Nottingham and Plymouth which I've confirmed will accept 2.2s with a good GAMSAT score and interview.
Exeter I'm waiting for a reply but I believe it's the same as above.

Maybe give GAMSAT a shot? When are you looking at applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by kwalsfaa
I think the person saying a 2.2 for a UKCAT uni is right, I'm in the same situation, I also have no science background so I have 3 uni options from current research!

Nottingham and Plymouth which I've confirmed will accept 2.2s with a good GAMSAT score and interview.
Exeter I'm waiting for a reply but I believe it's the same as above.

Maybe give GAMSAT a shot? When are you looking at applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You realise Exeter and Plymouth are both 5 year undergrad courses and not graduate entry ones? They do accept graduates (with high gamsat scores!) but you will have to fund the whole course yourself as you will only receive maintenance loans from SFE (no help with tuition loans!)

GEM courses that accept 2.2 from a non-science background:

GAMSAT:
Nottingham (although having a Masters/PhD gets you treated as a 2.1+)
Swansea (with a Masters/PhD)
SGUL (with a Masters/PhD)

UKCAT:
Warwick (with a Masters/PhD)
Reply 6
Yeah I know, it's frustrating! I read on student finance that they will help after the first £3750 or something that you have to pay and in years 4 and 5 you may be entitled to a bursary to help?

I have debated a masters, are they all two years? I'm also not sure what masters I'd be eligible for!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by kwalsfaa
Yeah I know, it's frustrating! I read on student finance that they will help after the first £3750 or something that you have to pay and in years 4 and 5 you may be entitled to a bursary to help?

I have debated a masters, are they all two years? I'm also not sure what masters I'd be eligible for!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In 4 year GEM course SFE pay all the tuition payments that the NHS don't pay except for an initial £3750 in the first year as you mention. You can apply for a full maintenance loan.

In 5 year courses SFE give you nothing for tuition, unless you didn't take out a tuition loan in your previous degree. You can apply for a full maintenance loan.

Not all Masters are two years, I have just completed a year long Masters degree. However, due to my arts background I could only apply for arts based Masters courses. Although there may be some science based courses you could apply for as I did this in a rush and just jumped onto something which was quite varied to keep me interested.

Distance learning masters from the Open University are considered by most GEM courses I contacted so this could be an option. But also be aware that a one year masters runs from Sept-Sept and not Sept-July as per usual schooling years. This has been a struggle as some of the universities I am applying to (Warwick) want proof of completion prior to application - fortunately I have come to an arrangement for this despite not graduating from my MA until October this year.

If you any more specific questions feel free to drop me a PM as I have put a lot of hours into this already haha!
Reply 8
Thank you! I might inbox you shortly! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
So if you get a 2.2, is it best to have a gap year and apply for masters during your gap year? Because you have to apply for masters like 8 months in advance don't you?
Original post by Clareite
So if you get a 2.2, is it best to have a gap year and apply for masters during your gap year? Because you have to apply for masters like 8 months in advance don't you?

Not sure, I got on my Masters really easy and was told that they often accept people even within weeks of the course starting because they're generally under-subscribed. However I imagine this may be different in the sciences as my Masters was an arts one.
Reply 11
Anyone have any advice on Barts vs Kings? Seems like they look at the UKCAT quite similarly.
Hi guys..I got an average of 723 in my ukcat and was wondering if you think this will be good enough to apply to GEM I am predicted a 1st in my degree?
Hey guys I got an average of 723 in my ukcat and was wondering if you think this will be good enough to apply for GEM I am predicted a 1st in my engineering degree?
Reply 14
Original post by Marathi
In 4 year GEM course SFE pay all the tuition payments that the NHS don't pay except for an initial £3750 in the first year as you mention. You can apply for a full maintenance loan.

In 5 year courses SFE give you nothing for tuition, unless you didn't take out a tuition loan in your previous degree. You can apply for a full maintenance loan.

Not all Masters are two years, I have just completed a year long Masters degree. However, due to my arts background I could only apply for arts based Masters courses. Although there may be some science based courses you could apply for as I did this in a rush and just jumped onto something which was quite varied to keep me interested.

Distance learning masters from the Open University are considered by most GEM courses I contacted so this could be an option. But also be aware that a one year masters runs from Sept-Sept and not Sept-July as per usual schooling years. This has been a struggle as some of the universities I am applying to (Warwick) want proof of completion prior to application - fortunately I have come to an arrangement for this despite not graduating from my MA until October this year.

If you any more specific questions feel free to drop me a PM as I have put a lot of hours into this already haha!

Hi Marathi, The last bit you said where you made arrangements for Warwick allowing you to complete masters before application date? What exactly do you mean and would you be able to help me because I'm in same situation! My masters doesn't finish before the ucas dead this year (2017) for 2018 entry. Help please respond! Please PM me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending