Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Non-binary at 10 year old

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)
    How bigoted! Have you met Milo...?
    I would be so disappointed if my child was that stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iHammmy)
    *free speech

Considering you've taken the time to read the original news article, then go to an internet forum and make a thread about it while commenting "why can't kids be kids anymore ffs!", replying to comments about the topic for over two hours, and manage to somehow bring paedophiles into the topic, it's pretty obvious you *do* care about it. It's not that you don't have the right to comment on the subject, it's more just the point of why you are doing it. There was no point in posting this thread, and you should just leave people to do what makes them happy, as long as it's legal (had to leave that in there so you couldn't bring paedophiles into the equation again).

You clearly have to much time on your hands
    You caught me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm an alt-right Mossad agent who's secretly working for Bin Laden.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I get Sunday afternoons off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    I would be so disappointed if my child was that stupid.
    Given the path that the western world is on, your child might just end up like that...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is why I'm not gonna have kids.

ReputationRep:
    Given the path that the western world is on, your child might just end up like that...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is why I'm not gonna have kids.
    I'll just move to Texas where they'll have to live in the wilderness and learn to hunt for their own food, just to make sure they don't become some ****ing feeble pathetic ninnies.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they can, and they should be able to. Still doesn't mean we can't question the validity of non-binary. Nothing is above scrutiny. This idea of "let people do what they want" sure I agree with that, doesn't mean I can't criticise their choice.
    I think the fact I described the decision as 'cockamamy' lets you know that I think the term is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    I'll just move to Texas where they'll have to live in the wilderness and learn to hunt for their own food, just to make sure they don't become some ****ing feeble pathetic ninnies.
    I like zis plan.

Although, isn't Texas more desert-y? Alaska would be a better bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I think the fact I described the decision as 'cockamamy' lets you know that I think the term is stupid.
    That could be an actual gender according to Tumblr, who knows!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh Tumblr....

ReputationRep:
    Have I said anything about not letting this kid live their life? I'm not advocating that anything should be done to the kid.

You guys should seriously calm down.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    being a dick about someone's identity isn't going to help anyone... taking the piss out of an identity that deviates from the norm (like non-binary) only discourages young lgbt+ people from experimenting with their identity and discovering who they are. people should be allowed to identify however they wish without being judged for it. calling them delusional and critisising them is only causing harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintrnslation)
    being a dick about someone's identity isn't going to help anyone... taking the piss out of an identity that deviates from the norm (like non-binary) only discourages young lgbt+ people from experimenting with their identity and discovering who they are. people should be allowed to identify however they wish without being judged for it. calling them delusional and critisising them is only causing harm.
    I'm sorry but no-one is above judgment. We aren't in some perfect fairyland.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but no-one is above judgment. We aren't in some perfect fairyland.
    but wouldn't it be better if people didn't judge others?

ReputationRep:
    but wouldn't it be better if people didn't judge others?
    We'd all be a bunch of softies...I don't know how well that would end.
    Judging is part of human nature.

ReputationRep:
    We'd all be a bunch of softies...I don't know how well that would end.
    Judging is part of human nature.
    ahh so we can judge lgbt+ people and ostracise them to the point that they commit suicide but that's fine bc if we didn't do that then we'd be a 'bunch of softies'. come on, you might not agree with the term non-binary or whatever but you have to agree that things would be easier if being judgemental wasn't a thing.

ReputationRep:
    At first I thought this was about coding languages for some reason...

ReputationRep:
    ahh so we can judge lgbt+ people and ostracise them to the point that they commit suicide but that's fine bc if we didn't do that then we'd be a 'bunch of softies'. come on, you might not agree with the term non-binary or whatever but you have to agree that things would be easier if being judgemental wasn't a thing.
    I didn't say that. Everyone gets judged for one thing or another, and this whole victim thing doesn't work on me I'm afraid.
    Nah, I disagree. It's part of life. You have to agree that judgment is a better option than execution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    At first I thought this was about coding languages for some reason...

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I'm not really up to date with all the SJW jargon

As for the child, well, I probably would have called myself a laddish girl at 10 (into dinosaurs and science instead of normal girl things) so whatever works for them I guess

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I'm not really up to date with all the SJW jargon

As for the child, well, I probably would have called myself a laddish girl at 10 (into dinosaurs and science instead of normal girl things) so whatever works for them I guess
    Ignorance is bliss.

That's the problem. It's okay for girls to be into stereotypically male things, doesn't make you non-binary.

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance is bliss.

That's the problem. It's okay for girls to be into stereotypically male things, doesn't make you non-binary.
    So, just to clarify, your problem is that just because he likes stereotypically masculine things it doesn't make him non-binary?

ReputationRep:
    So, just to clarify, your problem is that just because he likes stereotypically masculine things it doesn't make him non-binary?
    I don't have a problem really. But it is annoying that if a boy likes dolls, the parents automatically assume he's trans or whatever. I don't care that he's non-binary, I just don't think it's a real ting™.

ReputationRep:
    So I guess the terms "tomboy" and "skater chick" stopped being cool enough

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.