The Student Room Group

Non-binary at 10 year old

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Inexorably
I think the fact I described the decision as 'cockamamy' lets you know that I think the term is stupid.

That could be an actual gender according to Tumblr, who knows!

Spoiler

Original post by L'absurde
Have I said anything about not letting this kid live their life? I'm not advocating that anything should be done to the kid.

You guys should seriously calm down.

Spoiler

being a dick about someone's identity isn't going to help anyone... taking the piss out of an identity that deviates from the norm (like non-binary) only discourages young lgbt+ people from experimenting with their identity and discovering who they are. people should be allowed to identify however they wish without being judged for it. calling them delusional and critisising them is only causing harm.
Reply 62
Original post by lostintrnslation
being a dick about someone's identity isn't going to help anyone... taking the piss out of an identity that deviates from the norm (like non-binary) only discourages young lgbt+ people from experimenting with their identity and discovering who they are. people should be allowed to identify however they wish without being judged for it. calling them delusional and critisising them is only causing harm.

I'm sorry but no-one is above judgment. We aren't in some perfect fairyland.
I'm sorry but no-one is above judgment. We aren't in some perfect fairyland.

but wouldn't it be better if people didn't judge others?
Reply 64
but wouldn't it be better if people didn't judge others?

We'd all be a bunch of softies...I don't know how well that would end.
Judging is part of human nature.
We'd all be a bunch of softies...I don't know how well that would end.
Judging is part of human nature.

ahh so we can judge lgbt+ people and ostracise them to the point that they commit suicide but that's fine bc if we didn't do that then we'd be a 'bunch of softies'. come on, you might not agree with the term non-binary or whatever but you have to agree that things would be easier if being judgemental wasn't a thing.
At first I thought this was about coding languages for some reason...
Reply 67
ahh so we can judge lgbt+ people and ostracise them to the point that they commit suicide but that's fine bc if we didn't do that then we'd be a 'bunch of softies'. come on, you might not agree with the term non-binary or whatever but you have to agree that things would be easier if being judgemental wasn't a thing.

I didn't say that. Everyone gets judged for one thing or another, and this whole victim thing doesn't work on me I'm afraid.
Nah, I disagree. It's part of life. You have to agree that judgment is a better option than execution.
Reply 68
:colonhash:
:colonhash:

I'm sorry, I'm not really up to date with all the SJW jargon :colondollar:

As for the child, well, I probably would have called myself a laddish girl at 10 (into dinosaurs and science instead of normal girl things) so whatever works for them I guess
Reply 70
Ignorance is bliss.

That's the problem. It's okay for girls to be into stereotypically male things, doesn't make you non-binary.
Ignorance is bliss.

That's the problem. It's okay for girls to be into stereotypically male things, doesn't make you non-binary.

So, just to clarify, your problem is that just because he likes stereotypically masculine things it doesn't make him non-binary?
Reply 72
I don't have a problem really. But it is annoying that if a boy likes dolls, the parents automatically assume he's trans or whatever. I don't care that he's non-binary, I just don't think it's a real ting™.
So I guess the terms "tomboy" and "skater chick" stopped being cool enough
EDIT: 10 years old*
I ****ed up the title -____-

Came across this on the BBC website, surprise surprise...

Poor child, kinda feel sorry for him/her.
Which delusion are we going to have to accept next?

(Why can't kids just be kids anymore ffs!)

Thoughts?

Spoiler

Well.. my thoughts on this are: we have a very complicated society and I guess people are free to believe whatever they want to. This may not make sense to many of us, but it will to some others and that's okay.
Why do they have to identify as something or give it thought at all. I had short hair, wore track suits, climbed trees and only did things that lads do till I was 14. I'm still not 'girly' I don't wear skirts do nails and all that and kind of think being a lad would have suited me so much better. I still think of myself of female though just a sporty non girly one. Besides certain biological differences gender could just largely be a social construct anyway everyone has elements of masculine and feminine inside them.
Reply 76
Original post by asmuse123
What about the Intersex people? They have both male and female genitals. So, there are 3 biological sexes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said yourself. They have both 'male' and 'female' genitals, that is they have have aspects of both of the sexes but aren't an entirely new sex themselves. If they were an entirely new sex then surely they would have an entirely new kind of genitals and would have a separate role in our overall reproductive method.

At least that's how I understand it.
Reply 77
I'm outta here if I hit the 40% tax mark. :colonhash:

What will happen if you do? :mmm:

Spoiler

Did you just assume my gender?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by Pulse.
Did you just assume my gender?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so sorry, please forgive me! What shall I do so you can pardon me? :adore:
The kid's been spending too much time on Tumblr.

Who wants to wager he'll be over this next year when he identifies as Batman?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending