Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Im not sure anymore who i want to be when i grow up

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I thought i wanted to be a doctor but now i feel unsure, as i cant think of a good reason of why i want to be a doctor! I feel like i would prefer studying an oriental studies degree (japanese) as i find the culture fascinating and i would want to live there but i would feel like i would not have a job guaranteed after i do this degree, as i don't want to be a translator,english or japanese teacher as its not something i would enjoy personally. And if i do medicine i'm more likely to have a job after it and i will be more secure financially. I would enjoy having a job that enables me to travel but i wouldn't be a pilot as even if i did finish flight school, you are not guaranteed a job after it. I dont know should i just stick with medicine or what? Even if i did do medicine im highly unlikely to find a job in japan as it would be harder to get a medical license there and i dont really speak the language even thought i want to learn it. Should i just stop thinking about japan and just go on with medicine? Sorry if my writing is quite incoherent, im rushing to write this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I thought i wanted to be a doctor but now i feel unsure, as i cant think of a good reason of why i want to be a doctor! I feel like i would prefer studying an oriental studies degree (japanese) as i find the culture fascinating and i would want to live there but i would feel like i would not have a job guaranteed after i do this degree, as i don't want to be a translator,english or japanese teacher as its not something i would enjoy personally. And if i do medicine i'm more likely to have a job after it and i will be more secure financially. I would enjoy having a job that enables me to travel but i wouldn't be a pilot as even if i did finish flight school, you are not guaranteed a job after it. I dont know should i just stick with medicine or what? Even if i did do medicine im highly unlikely to find a job in japan as it would be harder to get a medical license there and i dont really speak the language even thought i want to learn it. Should i just stop thinking about japan and just go on with medicine? Sorry if my writing is quite incoherent, im rushing to write this.
    First of all, no matter how good the job prospects of a degree may be, there is absolutely no point in taking it if you don't actually want to do the jobs that degree provides. Applying for Medicine is a very bad idea if you don't really want to be a doctor - not just because you'd be miserable once you're in the job but because (1) you could well not even get onto a course if it's clear that your heart isn't in it and (2) it's an extremely challenging degree that you really have to be motivated for to complete.

It's true that a degree in Oriental Studies doesn't have the best job prospects in the world but on the other hand, it's not terrible and remember that you're not limited to jobs that are directly related to your degree because most graduate jobs just require a degree, not a specific degree. How old and at what stage in your education are you? One thing I'd definitely recommend doing is to start self-teaching yourself Japanese and do some proper reading around Japanese culture and history (universities often have recommended reading lists) to make sure that you've got a good understanding of what a degree in Japanese would entail. Just because you're interested in modern Japanese culture doesn't necessarily mean that you'd enjoy a degree in Oriental/Japanese Studies.

It sounds to me like you're a bit overwhelmed and confused about the options that are available to you. Do you have a careers advisor in your school? If you do, then I'd recommend making a meeting to look at potential options. If not, maybe have a look at the various job profiles on NCS to see if you can find something interesting. Something might pop up that you never even knew about. You also should consider what you're actually good at - Languages, Medicine and Piloting all require very different skills and it may well be that you're more suited to one than the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    First of all, no matter how good the job prospects of a degree may be, there is absolutely no point in taking it if you don't actually want to do the jobs that degree provides. Applying for Medicine is a very bad idea if you don't really want to be a doctor - not just because you'd be miserable once you're in the job but because (1) you could well not even get onto a course if it's clear that your heart isn't in it and (2) it's an extremely challenging degree that you really have to be motivated for to complete.

It's true that a degree in Oriental Studies doesn't have the best job prospects in the world but on the other hand, it's not terrible and remember that you're not limited to jobs that are directly related to your degree because most graduate jobs just require a degree, not a specific degree. How old and at what stage in your education are you? One thing I'd definitely recommend doing is to start self-teaching yourself Japanese and do some proper reading around Japanese culture and history (universities often have recommended reading lists) to make sure that you've got a good understanding of what a degree in Japanese would entail. Just because you're interested in modern Japanese culture doesn't necessarily mean that you'd enjoy a degree in Oriental/Japanese Studies.

It sounds to me like you're a bit overwhelmed and confused about the options that are available to you. Do you have a careers advisor in your school? If you do, then I'd recommend making a meeting to look at potential options. If not, maybe have a look at the various job profiles on NCS to see if you can find something interesting. Something might pop up that you never even knew about. You also should consider what you're actually good at - Languages, Medicine and Piloting all require very different skills and it may well be that you're more suited to one than the others.
    Im not saying i do not want to be a doctor but im saying i cant think of a reason why i want to be one, i just cant explain it. I studied a lot of japanese culture by myself mostly modern and i know a bit about the old one but not as much, i watch documentaries about japan and its culture on the nhk channel and i watch japanese youtubers and i watch pretty much any video or read anything to do with japan i am even reading a guide about living and working in japan. I enjoy watching documentaries about medical innovations and about the body and medicine related and i think i would enjoy the job and the challenges but i feel like it would limit me to only pretty much working in the uk. I tried self teaching myself japanese but i didnt really get far and i cant really get the basics right even as i dont reallly know where to start i tried learning some hiragana but thats like where i got to i tried using this japanese app but its kind of useless because only teachers me words e.g fruits,veg,animals,jobs,colours, clothing and it does not teach any sentences or anything and the other apps which i looked at are just full of phrases which you could click on and the app says them in japanese but i dont find it useful, i learn best in a classroom environment personally.Im in year 11 and my school does have apparently some career cancelor but she is mostly an english teacher and whenever i try and find her to ask her something i cant find the teacher, so thats not really working out, my school is not really good at offering any career advice. I want to know who i want to be as im going to be choosing a levels so i need to pick the right ones. And i dont have any specific hobbies or passions so i cant really do a career that im passionate about as im not sure what im really passionate about. Sorry for rumbling on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)

Im quite good at history and enjoy it a lot and enjoy watching history documentaries but i cant think of a job that i would could od linked to history and i think history is more of a hobby/interest only. In science im quite okay. In maths due to difficult circumstances last year i didn't quite improve and not as good as i could be as i had a new teacher every term and 2 of them were bad and the only good one was there for quite a short time so as a result i suffered a bit in my summer report in maths,but don't get me wrong i enjoy maths and its one of my most favourite lessons even if i don't quite understand some stuff i always ask for help and then i understand the subject better and this year the teacher is also quite good. I did do Rs, history,geography,my native language gcse and i got a* and i did art but i got a C and i did not enjoy the subject at all.

ReputationRep:
    Im not saying i do not want to be a doctor but im saying i cant think of a reason why i want to be one, i just cant explain it. I studied a lot of japanese culture by myself mostly modern and i know a bit about the old one but not as much, i watch documentaries about japan and its culture on the nhk channel and i watch japanese youtubers and i watch pretty much any video or read anything to do with japan i am even reading a guide about living and working in japan. I enjoy watching documentaries about medical innovations and about the body and medicine related and i think i would enjoy the job and the challenges but i feel like it would limit me to only pretty much working in the uk. I tried self teaching myself japanese but i didnt really get far and i cant really get the basics right even as i dont reallly know where to start i tried learning some hiragana but thats like where i got to i tried using this japanese app but its kind of useless because only teachers me words e.g fruits,veg,animals,jobs,colours, clothing and it does not teach any sentences or anything and the other apps which i looked at are just full of phrases which you could click on and the app says them in japanese but i dont find it useful, i learn best in a classroom environment personally.Im in year 11 and my school does have apparently some career cancelor but she is mostly an english teacher and whenever i try and find her to ask her something i cant find the teacher, so thats not really working out, my school is not really good at offering any career advice. I want to know who i want to be as im going to be choosing a levels so i need to pick the right ones. And i dont have any specific hobbies or passions so i cant really do a career that im passionate about as im not sure what im really passionate about. Sorry for rumbling on.
    Regarding Japanese, if you're unable to learn independently then that pretty much strikes out a degree in Oriental Studies because most of the time you will be teaching yourself, you're not spoon-fed at university. If you want to try to self-teach again then I'd recommend reading this article which has a lot of good advice on how to get started. If you can't motivate yourself to start learning the language now then I really would not recommend studying it at university.

You don't need to plan out your life for yourself right at this moment, but what you do need to have decided (ideally by early-mid next year) is whether you're going to go down a STEM or non-STEM route because the A Levels you need to take for those are different. Keep trying to find the careers advisor, she is in your school so if you can't find her, ask another teacher where she might be - you need to use your initiative to get these things done.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is the only degree that guarentees you a job after, but as has been said it is not one to apply for or study if your heart isn't 100% in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Medicine is the only degree that guarentees you a job after, but as has been said it is not one to apply for or study if your heart isn't 100% in it.
    How can someone know if medicine is really really and i mean really for them?

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.