Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Withdrawal request

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi, guys! I am in such an awful situation. I feel like my life has no point right now. I have failed a module and then failed the resit as well. I also failed 2 other modules that I passed the second time. The university has asked me to withdraw and that would be the last thing that I want to do. I am gonna appeal the decision but my grounds are crappy but true. They are based on how I could not adapt as I am a foreign and my system was so different. I had financial problems as I had to work to pay my rent and everything ( I am my only source of income). It's a core module and I scored 30. I read the handbook and I don't see why I did not get compensation though I called the uni and they said compensation was not available for the module. I did not ask why because I was too messed up at the time. What would you guys do?
    P.S. I know it's all my fault and I don't have excuses. I just need somebody to give me some advice on what I should do.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    hi,

really sorry to hear you've struggled during your studies. It'S not your fault actually, this university simply has very high failure rates for certain courses. I have seen perfectly intelligent people who couldn't make the 40% mark...a lot of the times it has to do with how well you understand the requirements for an exam paper. some lecturers can give completely erratic subjects and the resists can have little in common with the way they taught the module or the last examination.
    Unfortunately, you will have to transfer to another university. City doesn't accept appeals.
    Birkbeck is a perfectly fine substitute. try and give them a call.
    if you really want to try, you can see your personal tutor at Uni and ask them for an opinion and then the Student'S Union can help you write an appeal. Appeals rarely get accepted.
    hope it works out for you. Also, not your fault, it'S a standard reply for this forum to blame the poster, as if we'Re all out partying during term time or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Maryanne,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try to make an appeal because I really want to continue with this university.
    Regarding Birkbeck, will I be able to transfer even if I have a failed module? That would be really awesome. If it's too late, will I be able to take this year as a gap one and continue the second year in 2017/2018?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geostudent)
    Maryanne,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try to make an appeal because I really want to continue with this university.
    Regarding Birkbeck, will I be able to transfer even if I have a failed module? That would be really awesome. If it's too late, will I be able to take this year as a gap one and continue the second year in 2017/2018?
    I talked to them when I has a situation similar to yours, thought I did badly on a resit....
    well, firs things first, if you have failed 2nd year you can try to transfer into 2nd year with them as well, depending on their decision...which level you've studied at and so on..they accept about 3-4 people for transfer from what they've told me at their open evening...
    if you failed year 1 then you need to apply to year 1 and start all over...
    It can work and Birkbeck is very good as a school...

Which course were you on at City?
    I'd start by going to an opening or emailing them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryanne90)
    I talked to them when I has a situation similar to yours, thought I did badly on a resit....
    well, firs things first, if you have failed 2nd year you can try to transfer into 2nd year with them as well, depending on their decision...which level you've studied at and so on..they accept about 3-4 people for transfer from what they've told me at their open evening...
    if you failed year 1 then you need to apply to year 1 and start all over...
    It can work and Birkbeck is very good as a school...

Which course were you on at City?
    I'd start by going to an opening or emailing them

I failed year 1. Oh, I wish I did not have to repeat the year but if that's the only chance so be it. I was in Criminology and Sociology. I already searched the course at Birkbeck and I could go on Criminology and Criminal Justice.
    I was thinking of hiring a lawyer to help me with the appeal for City though I am not sure if it's worth spending the money as I am really afraid that I would be rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geostudent)
    I failed year 1. Oh, I wish I did not have to repeat the year but if that's the only chance so be it. I was in Criminology and Sociology. I already searched the course at Birkbeck and I could go on Criminology and Criminal Justice.
    I was thinking of hiring a lawyer to help me with the appeal for City though I am not sure if it's worth spending the money as I am really afraid that I would be rejected.
    Save your money...people at City are not sympathetic...also the university has such a bad social atmosphere it's not worth despairing over this ...
    You didn't fail anything, you were simply in the wrong university for you.
    In the future, if you at any point encounter problems during your studies and you fall behind, it's best to tell someone very early in the year. People can help you. That'S why they have personal tutors, disability support team (they cover depression, anxiety, etc)

IMHO I think students should have the right to appeal Academic results as a general rule...

oh, one last thing you can do is request they count the marks on your paper again.

Best of luck and may your new course be great!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.